Bench complete...mostly

fjdog

New User
Roland
Finally finished my first "real" bench. It is a small and stout with Hovarter leg vise and wagon vise. Still needs final flattening with jointer plane, but more-or-less all there. The top is hard maple and base is red oak. The whole build done without a power jointer (lots of hand work with the #6). Next time, I'll get a power jointer to speed up the laminations...hand planing all of that hard maple was brutal! Anyway, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Seems to be heavy enough and that was my main concern. Overall dimensions are ~60"x~25".

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 200

fjdog

New User
Roland
Here is the sketch-up file. It is mostly accurate, but I did have some small deviations during the build. I think the top is just a bit longer and wider than the plan (by maybe an inch or two in either direction) because I had a little more material than expected. Also, the legs are a little fatter for the same reason. But this gets you in the ballpark.

Attachments

• Bench prototype 2.skp
    134.4 KB · Views: 70

fjdog

New User
Roland
Thanks for all the nice comments!

Here's a photo I took when planing the hard maple for the top. I think I made about 4 or 5 piles of shavings that size. All done on my old super flimsy bench that was so light it scooted around the garage as I worked.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 97

fjdog

New User
Roland
You'll never see hard maple in a list of "hand tool friendly" woods
Agree completely. It tears out whenever the grain changes unless your iron is super sharp. I am thinking about putting a back-bevel on the plane blade for the final surfacing on the top to avoid tear-out problems, but worried that pushing the plane will be even more difficult!

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
Finally finished my first "real" bench. It is a small and stout with Hovarter leg vise and wagon vise. Still needs final flattening with jointer plane, but more-or-less all there. The top is hard maple and base is red oak. The whole build done without a power jointer (lots of hand work with the #6). Next time, I'll get a power jointer to speed up the laminations...hand planing all of that hard maple was brutal! Anyway, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Seems to be heavy enough and that was my main concern. Overall dimensions are ~60"x~25".
I'd feel very proud of that bench.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks fantastic - something you should be proud of!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Agree completely. It tears out whenever the grain changes unless your iron is super sharp. I am thinking about putting a back-bevel on the plane blade for the final surfacing on the top to avoid tear-out problems, but worried that pushing the plane will be even more difficult!
Best to simply take a lighter cut

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations, that will serve you for a long time.

fjdog

New User
Roland
That's almost too nice to use. Is the chop vise one of the X versions?
Yes, it is the hovarter VX21 with the x-link. The vises seem to work pretty well so far. No complaints except they were probably more work than expected to get fitted on the bench properly. I mis-drilled the holes in both the end-cap and the chop (for different stupid reasons). Thus I wound up with some decorative additions to hide the mistakes. Needless to say, they are a pretty good upgrade to the old vise I was using.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Very nice! Almost looks like furniture to me. Just need to take a hammer and bang on it some so not to experience any anguish when using it! 😂

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS