Ashley,

Sounds like fun.:lol: Enjoy the race and be sure to pick up some of those
T-shirts and caps.;-)

HAve a great day.
Al

4yanks

New User
Willie
I want to say something like "Grow up," but I found myself reading the rules and I must admit I am intrigued.:rbedface:

thedovetailjoint

New User
The Dovetailjoint
Re: Belt Sander Races. I'm in!

I’ve already registered to compete in this race at AWFS and was planning on asking the following question when I searched for this topic. Does anyone have any tips? I’m a bit surprised at the lack of information on the web, though there are several good videos on Youtube including one from an Accuride rep at the link below. Thanks in advance for you input, Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VutwMGzowY

thedovetailjoint

New User
The Dovetailjoint
OK, I have my sander and sand paper in hand... what's next? I’d like to do some time trials with different grits and am wondering how to time the race. I haven’t built a test track yet but suspect it will be a bit shy the 75’ long competition track. Any suggestions? I remember the little flag that used to drop towards the winners track when we used to race our Match Box and Hot Wheels cars, but that did nothing for timing the race. The best time down a 75’ track? Are you sitting down? 1.9 seconds! Are any of you planning on competing and if so are you interested in testing your sander? Scott

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Guys,

I have wanted to have these at our Klingspor Extravaganza in October for several years.......Let's make this happen. I will need help from NCWWR members to manage the entries and the track, etc.

I will supply the belts for the contestants, supplies to build the track, and the trophy-plaque-or gift certificate for the winner.

I think that this would be awesome.:icon_thum By the way, the National Champion several years ago used a KLINGSPOR BLUE PLANER BELT to take the title. :eusa_clap

Email me or post here if you guys are interested in making this happen on October 26-27th, 2007 in Hickory. We will make a big deal of this if you guys get behind it......fun, fun, fun.........

cfourshee@woodworkingshop.com

Coleman

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Guys,

I have wanted to have these at our Klingspor Extravaganza in October for several years.......Let's make this happen. I will need help from NCWWR members to manage the entries and the track, etc.

I will supply the belts for the contestants, supplies to build the track, and the trophy-plaque-or gift certificate for the winner.

I think that this would be awesome.:icon_thum By the way, the National Champion several years ago used a KLINGSPOR BLUE PLANER BELT to take the title. :eusa_clap

Email me or post here if you guys are interested in making this happen on October 26-27th, 2007 in Hickory. We will make a big deal of this if you guys get behind it......fun, fun, fun.........

cfourshee@woodworkingshop.com

Coleman

i'm interested. will be too busy at vegas to fool w/it but i don't have to work the klingspor event except for cwa if we pull our booth together this year.

DavidF

New User
David
I've got a 220v belt sander that I bought over from UK, that's got more torque than a V8:lol:

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
we informaly did this on a job site, a church we were trimming out. a couple of red neck tweeks

build up the drive wheel, by making the drive bigger you will go further with each revolution.

use a light ga cord. while there is a drop in amps the sander won't have to pull as much weight.

loop the cord big, we were just coiling up the cord on the floor, by making large loops the sander is able to pull out more cord before having to snap the next wrap our.

make sure the supper isn't around. picture the look on a guys face when 4 belt sanders come racing at him....ever seen the old move "killdozer"

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
just a thought on the timimg problem. i have seen plans for a shutter tester (as in camera)

basicaly you use a sound program in a computer. you record the sound and you can see how long it lasted down to thousandths of a second, you wold problay need a bell at the end so you new your stop time, the belt sander would make enogh noise at the beginning.

i search for a link to the shutter tester if you want...a lap top would come in handy.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
i'm interested. will be too busy at vegas to fool w/it but i don't have to work the klingspor event except for cwa if we pull our booth together this year.

Hi Phil,

I have at least two vendors currently interested in supporting this Belt Sanding Race to some degree on October 26-27th. 2007. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc After I return from Vegas - I will be there in a 10x30 space with Freud, Klingspor, and other goodies - I will have a better idea of what it will take make this happen.

Let's keep this idea moving forward. I hope we can pull enough interest to have the RACES.....IT should be a blast with minimum of 10 participants - just to have a good tournament.

Stop by in Vegas if you get a chance.......

Coleman

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Hi Phil,

I have at least two vendors currently interested in supporting this Belt Sanding Race to some degree on October 26-27th. 2007. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc After I return from Vegas - I will be there in a 10x30 space with Freud, Klingspor, and other goodies - I will have a better idea of what it will take make this happen.

Let's keep this idea moving forward. I hope we can pull enough interest to have the RACES.....IT should be a blast with minimum of 10 participants - just to have a good tournament.

Stop by in Vegas if you get a chance.......

Coleman

Great i'll stop by if i get a chance. I hope to be too busy though! I just found our we are doing a show in Toronto that week so i might not be able to make it. But i'll be glad to lend a hand to get it going and promote it with CWA. If we keep it simple and fun I see no reason we can't find (10) entrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS