Belt Sander Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I need to take about 3/16" off the surface of hard maple, edge grain panel that is 3' x 25". (I screwed up :BangHead:). I have the top surface smooth and the bottom flat. My arms and back are too sore to do any more with the hand plane any time soon :sad11:. I have a three day weekend and want to get this counter installed. So, if I bought :)tool:) a belt sander, would it remove the 1/8" in a reasonable period of time? I have never used one so I don't know. Since it is the bottom of the panel, it doesn't matter if it is pretty. It just needs to be flat. I can always flatten it with the hand plane when I get it close. If it will work, what kind should I get?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I know you're going to have to do a LOT of sanding to remove that much material with a belt sander. Not to mention how many belts you might go through.

Other than that I can't give you anymore advice, seeing as how I don't have a belt sander and have never tried to sand off that much material.

Another option is to build a pair of rails and a sled and use a router to remove the material.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I just realized that I will only have to remove the wood where it sits on the supports. So, it won't be as bad as I thought it would be. My brain is too tired to think well.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The best heavy duty belt sanders to buy are Porter Cables, and with rough sandpaper it will take that maple down much quicker than you think. But, I'm not sure that is the best way to go, it's a shame that there aren't any big planers available for a 25" width. One idea is to cut the wood in two lengthwise run it through a 15" planer and glue it back together.

But I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

Good Luck.

edit: if you have to only take it down in spots, then I'd use the belt sander.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Doing it with a belt sander will work, but it will be TOUGH to keep it flat. You will have ripples and waves that are tough to get out. It is possible, but it will be tough. You would be better served to flatten it with a router sled/jig and router bits especially if you only have to recess it in the areas that it is supported.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Everyone says that a jointer is the hardest tool it get the feel of,:BangHead: but a belt sander is the worst for me.:BangHead::BangHead: It will remove a lot of wood fast with a 80 grit belt, and I always get dips and waves. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: So I try some more and it gets worst. :eusa_doh: So it is easier to build a pair of rails and a sled and use a router to remove the material. :icon_thum Or drag it down the road behind truck.:rotflm:

Danny

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks, folks. It wasn't as bad as I "measured it" to be last night. I really gotta learn to stop after a while. These pain meds I am on for my back work so good that I feel like the energizer bunny. The problem is that my brain just doesn't keep up...:cool:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
You could do it with the belt sander, but you have to be careful not to stay in one spot for very long. That is always the biggest mistake I made. Just go back and forth in a uniform fashion. The router and fence would be a better way to do it. Best of luck :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS