belt/disc combo sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Well the old 6" Delta Shopmaster finally stripped a gear and now I have to replace it :mrgreen: :tool: :mrgreen:

Any input/advice from any real woodworkers out there ? I could do the regular online search/comparisons but would rather hear from the folks whom I trust :icon_thum

Perhaps someone has one just collecting dust under their bench that needs a home ?

Quality, price, size ....... any and all input appreciated . Need to replace this fairly quickly

TIA

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have an old craftsman i think i paid $30 for, but my shop is busting at the seems. If you want it just come and get it. There's some belts with it. I cleaned and adjusted it and it runs pretty good now.

M

McRabbet

Robert,

I have the lower end 6" x 48" floor model belt/disk sander from Grizzly, the G1014Z for about $370 with shipping. I have one that has worked well for me for more than 4 years. You can also get a smaller unit, the G0547 that is 4" x 36" for under $100 plus shipping.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did it strip a gear, or did the belt lose some of the notching.? (It is a notched belt.) Got one in the shop that did just that. New belt from Delta was about $15. Motor on this one also smoked. The start relay was hanging up, cured that too. Be sure and get some graphite platten material. from Klingspor and put it on what ever you get or fix. Makes it a lot easier on the motor. If you are going to trash old one, I know where it would get a good home. But first check the belt. After I get back from IWF, I could explain how I made a gear puller to remove gears on the one I inherited. Or you could borrow the one I made. Bruce

sawduster

New User
Robert
The belt and motor gear are fine. The gear on the belt/disc side stripped on the inside . There is a spline on the shaft but no more grooves left on the inside of the (plastic) gear. There is not even room to put a set-screw in it :BangHead:
A crying shame but i cannot find a source for the gear
No prob though as I get to buy a new sander :icon_thum
You are welcome to this one bro .....motor is still fine

Mike thanx for your generous offer:icon_thum. If you did not live so darn far away I would have gotten it yesterday ! I will keep it as a back up plan but will more than likely buy a new one and upgrade to boot :tool:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Did you check with the DeWalt / Delta repair center on Capital Blvd? They can probably get you the gear. Leaves a lot more monies for other tools. Last year, Lowes "dumped " these machines for about $70. That is how I got the one I have. Friend bought a new one rather than fixing the old one. I love it!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a jet combo with a 12" disk and a 6x48 belt. To be honest, I don't use it much and have thought about selling it. Robert, if you want to come by and try it out, drop me a line. you are more than welcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS