Belleman Family is okay in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Folks,
My friends here have asked me to share our state of affairs. Well, the "shake" caught us on a Friday afternoon, two minutes after school had been dismissed. We are located at Misawa Air Base, about 230 miles to the northwest of the main focus of the news, the problematic power site.

We were out of electrical power and heat for four days and the telephone communications, line and cell phones, all went out. Had to search the closets for the only old fashioned battery radio. In the dark base store, initially, there were was a rush on food, picnic type supplies, and batteries. We were fairly well set with our son's Boy Scout emergency kit and camping supply box. At least we could heat some water and have a hot drink a few times a day. The weather was cold, and the concrete house seemed cooler each night. Fortunately, the weather warmed up, it stopped snowing, and all melted.

We have been do our part in donating clothing and food to drop center for the Japanese. Many of our Scouting Leaders and DOD teachers have been volunteering at the port several miles away. Children under 18 can not participate in this. There are fire & rescue volunteers from all over, but those from England and Fairfax, Virginia, are basing out of Misawa. It is unfortunate that the news has focused on the drama of the power station and not the wonderful things that are happening.

The base is still running at 40% power. We now have power in our homes and heat. Many of the facilities are remaining closed, or at reduced usage. Gasoline and kerosene are being rationed until resupply is coordinated. The schools open Monday, tomorrow, but it will be interesting to see how many students I have in my classes.

My family and I do not plan to evacuate. Being a DOD employee, I do not have that option, only my dependents. Not sure if this is a bad thing, but my kids enjoy school. My senior daughter is only looking towards graduation and wants nothing to get in the way. Currently, she is the primary candidate for Valedictorian and taking 5 AP classes. The other 3 kids, grades 1, 4 and 10, are all just as involved. The boy is sad that track was been canceled for the next four weeks, or until after spring break. Guess I could have kids that weren't working so hard. I am blessed. Melissa, is also teaching for the University of Maryland in the evenings, and English at two Japanese schools two days a week. Those schools are delaying classes two weeks, but do intend to proceed onward.

So, we are doing well. Things are getting better and back to normal. We just got internet back at our house this last Friday. Besides the power loss, and it taking time for the provider to get back on line, our modem also failed, and we had to wait for a replacement. So, for right now we will be back on line and will keep you all informed.

May the tools again spin soon,
Guy Belleman
DoDDS Teacher, Misawa, Japan

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guy, we were truly worried about you and the family. Thank GOD you are doing well. Please keep us informed and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Good news about you & family. I was in Misawa only once....in January....That place is as cold as Korea in winter, so I can emphatize with your plight. Keep warm & stay safe.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Good to hear that all is well with you and yours. Our hearts and prayers go out for those less fortunate.:eusa_pray The spirit of the Japanese people is amazing and they will carry on. Thank you for this update and letting us know the "real" story.

God bless,

Reggie :wsmile:

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I can not imagine what they are dealing with over there. Nice to hear some good news.

TedAS

New User
Ted
It's good to hear from you Guy. I'm glad to hear you and your family made it through unharmed. Stay safe my friend.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks so much for letting us know that you all are ok. Stay safe and keep up the good work. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks. I agree completely that the news coverage of the nuclear aspect is overdone. Those plants should get to safe shutdown this week. They are already past the worst of it. Glad to hear your situation is improving too.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors