Beginner.....oops....Mallet Head messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

urshurak776

New User
Todd
Todd,
You should come!
Don't worry about bringing anything other than your charming personality and your hand ready to shake and meet a BUNCH of people effective at turning perfectly good wood into sawdust! (Especially if you are a bachelor) on;
SATURDAY MAY 19th - the NCWW Picnic!!
A day that will live in infamy (well maybe not) but we ALWAYS have a LOT of FUN!!!

Thank you sir! I will do my best to come, but not sure yet if I can make it. There are a couple things in the hopper (work) that I may need to deal with that weekend.

ScottMaurer

New User
Scott
Hi Scott. I bought a #4 hand plane I found locally for $8. It is a Corsair (Great Neck.) Needs to be set up though and I have no idea. Haven't dug into it yet. Raymond lives near me and said he would give me a hand with setting it up and with a band saw setup.

Nice! you'll enjoy it! Be warned though, they are ridiculously addictive..... hand tools in general are but planes in particular. If you get good tools and learn how to use a scrub, jack and smoothing plane, you'll find that they are useful for so many operations that are difficult or dangerous with machines. At least I did.

urshurak776

New User
Todd
Nice! you'll enjoy it! Be warned though, they are ridiculously addictive..... hand tools in general are but planes in particular. If you get good tools and learn how to use a scrub, jack and smoothing plane, you'll find that they are useful for so many operations that are difficult or dangerous with machines. At least I did.

Thanks. I am mesmerized by watching Paul Sellers. If I can get 10% that good, I'll be happy. I do like power tools also, so I guess I want the best of both worlds.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
ugh, just thinking of a hand so close to a miter saw blade on a lengthwise cut. glad your ok

I've considered getting something like this but so far have been able to use scraps that do the same thing to keep my hand well away from cuts when they are too short to clamp.

attachment.php

fastcap has a suprsing number of great ideas that I don't see mentioned much.

https://wf
ww.fastcap.com/product/10-million-dollar-stick

That still needs some attention to be safer

Put a board maybe 3-4ft long attached to the saw to act as a fence. Make a cut and you have a "zero" tolerance backing fence. I use a piece of 1 x3 and toss them after I make miter cuts. With the big hole you have now, you can pinch the blade and bang there she goes.

Lots of small ends go flying and they don't have a compass. Think about it.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Not sure I would even do that on a tables. Bandsaw or even jointer might be better. Any time you trim a small piece of wood you have to be very extra especially cautious. Just because you are prone to think, "it's just a small cut". It's those small quick easy cuts that usually get you.

Well said. Use the BS when you can.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The band saw is much safer, and more versatile than a table saw, or miter saw. Some woodworkers have made the claim they could do away with the table saw and use the band saw for most cutting work. The scroll saw is about the safest powered saw in any shop, but the band saw comes in second. I do love my Jet Super Saw cabinet saw, but with any tool, never let yourself feel comfortable using it, or you could get hurt.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll just be over here plugging along with my little old hand tools! :rotflm:Oh and by they way I teach too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS