Beginner Gouges

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I am possibly buying the lathe I found on Craigslist and need to find a decent (but not too expensive) set of gouges. The lathe will come with a set of chisels but, I also need a few gouges.

Suggestions are welcome...

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I suggest you don't bother trying the carmel apple empanada at Taco Bell, not very good for eating, probably worse as a turning tool! :lol:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
sorry, that was a bad joke, reflecting how much I haven't slept lately, perhaps?

there are some good reviews of the more expensive HF set, but if you just need one or two pieces, buy better, like DaveO posted earlier, and replace the others as they become worn.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
For basic bowl turning a "fingernail grind" 1/2" bowl gouge would be a good place to start

web1795big.jpg

You also might want a good 1" round nose scraper, and a side scraper to smooth everything out.
Dave:)

jtdums

New User
Jim
I would like to second the 1/2" fingernail ground bowl gouge as a good first choice. However, you will need to be able to sharpen it or it will become useless. If you own a bench grinder, you can make or purchase a grinding jig that will keep you sharp and turning for a long time to come. I like my shop built wolverine as a good starting point.
Happy turning.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks Jim. I do have a bench grinder. Do you know where I can find plans for a grinding jig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS