Been a while, but I finally finished the EC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonewood

New User
Alan
Lived with this project too long; was close to asking for a divorce, but soldiered on and finished it in time for the owners to have their Christmas party in their new house.

The pix suck, and the flash makes the cherry seems much more "busy" than it is, but, what the hey? I work wood, not cameras
crazy.gif

IMG_3644.jpg

For you Yankee wood snobs, this was made from Southern cherry, walnut trim and eucalyptus interior panels.

The room is large with a cathedral ceiling, so the massive size of the unit did not dominate the space.

Floating door panels are all resawn bookmatched figured cherry.

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

The cornice, dentil molding and face board, as well as the door frames and feet are all reduced proportionately as the units get smaller.

Cornice-straight cherry
Dentil-quartersawn cherry
Face-curly cherry

IMG_3479-1.jpg

IMG_3621-1.jpg

Two units have "water" glass panels that match the owners' front door way treatment.

IMG_3654.jpg

Door frames and face frames all mitered, which gives a picture frame look that draws the eye to the panels.

IMG_3626.jpg

Did the door frames in QS to keep them in plane should any expansion take place.

IMG_3623.jpg

Can't tell from this crappy photo, but I was able to "chase" the grain around all the corners and door frames:

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

The very beginning:

IMG_3368.jpg

Incra 5000 and Freud Dial-a-Dado made the dentil a piece of cake.

IMG_3477.jpg

One warning to newbies--Do not try this at home
yellowbigeek.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

To further fuel the fires of project envy, I did this from start to finish without plans or drawings, except those I did along the way. Included the notes, sketches and doodling with the project, sealed for posterity. Included therein are notes on construction, finishing schedule, etc. for future use.

I could not have done this without my shop assistants:

IMG_3429.jpg

Highlands, NC

or the Super shoes:

IMG_3565-1.jpg

yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

I figure I made approximately 3.215 cents per hour for my labors--good thing I enjoy it for the sake of it
yellowsigh.gif
crazy.gif

Anyhow, enjoy and comment as you wish.

But be kind--I am notoriously sensitive and thin-skinned
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dang, that is a "mass 'o beauty". :icon_thum
It would provide entertainment in any home :mrgreen:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Allan, that is just exquisite, your attention to the most minute details really makes it a work of art.

Now the shorts..that's just plain scary
IMG_3429.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
The shorts...... Absolutely breath taking..........

The EC is definite a labor of love but more than worth it when you look at how great it turned out. I would be proud to have that in my house.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Stellar work. From the joinery, to the grain choice and orientation, to the proportions, to the finish. Really awesome work!! If I tried something like that a 3 cents/hour I would make a million, 'cause it would take me into the next century!! If you are to credit for the "shop assistants", you did a great job there, too!!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man, oh man, that's real purdy. I really like the design, the wood is incredible, the composition was obviously well thought out and expertly executed. The finish looks flawless. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I can't imagine how much fun it must have been to get that bad boy out of the shop and into its new home. It must weigh a ton!

It's apparent you like a challenge.

So, what's your next project? Capella sistina? :lol:

Chuck

bonewood

New User
Alan
That pic was for some WoodNet folf who think that, just because they are diminutive, that I should wear my pants around my ankles. Real Henderson men and women wear their garb where nature put their waist:lol: :lol:

DavidF

New User
David
There was obviously a lot of thought in the details in this piece - really nice, big, but nice:lol: :lol:

woodrat

New User
Archie
Very beautiful work.

Now....was he trying to tell us, by being shirtless
in the photo, that he lost his shirt on that project?
:lol:

I do that on most of mine. It's a good thing I enjoy woodworking.

Thanks for sharing,

Woodrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors