Bed frame roller stop help

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Don't know if this is the best place to post this but here goes:

I have hardwood floors and two of my beds are on wide, oblong rollers. I can't find a way to stop the bed from moving around when....uh, well :embaresse the dogs jump up on the bed and it rolls across the room!:gar-La;
I'm serious. The ready made roller 'thingy's" are not wide enough for the newer caster size. I've tried cutting out my own and gluing carpet to the bottom but it still takes off.

Has anyone else had to " rig" something for these? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barbara

Glennbear

Glenn
YMMV, but just a thought, what about some pieces of the stuff that is sold as "shelf liner" - "tool box liner" - "router pad". All the same stuff at the BORGS depending on which aisle you pick it up from :gar-La; It has a very high friction coefficient and might eliminate the unplanned bed excursions across the room. :wsmile:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Barbara, you can get caster cups at the borgs that the wheels can sit in to prevent rolling. If your casters are too big, I've used a U shaped piece of heavy wire/coat hanger, which slips under both sides of a couple of the casters. You can bend up the end of the "U" to make it easier to grab for removal. The wire stops work great on our heavy equipment.
Hope this helps,

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would cut some thin wood wedges and push into the space between the roller and its support frame/hardware. Just enough to keep the roller from...well...rolling.

b4man

New User
Barbara
All good ideas, thanks for the advice. However, one of the issues with the floor is it's so slick that the bed will slide sideways even if the rollers are made to stop. The router pad idea may do the trick because it might stick to the floor and disable the caster movement if I double the thickness so it won't roll over the pad.

The cups at the Borg's are not designed for wide barrel type casters. none that I have found anyway.

The U design is good info for future needs.

Again, thanks guys.

Barbara

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just sprinkle sawdust on the floor. Makes it impossible to move tools on mobile bases, so it should work on furniture too :)

To expand on Glenn's suggestion - you don't want to put the liner just under the casters. Ideally, you'd cover the entire surface underneath the bed with it. That pretty much makes it impossible to move. The router pad/ shelf liner stuff is also used underneath area rugs. I'd go to a carpet store and get a big roll of it. For some reason, the rug stuff is half the price of the shelf liner, which is half the price of the router pad stuff - and it's almost identical!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Bas;217455]Just sprinkle sawdust on the floor. Makes it impossible to move tools on mobile bases, so it should work on furniture too :)

Better yet, a power cord!

Thanks to Glennbear, I retrieved a piece of router pad that was hidden under an inch of sawdust:elvis:, cut it into 4's and placed it under the casters.
What I failed to mention is that these casters swivel too.:BangHead:

This took care of the slide great but the swivel feature caused the caster to follow the movement and want to roll off. Not to be outdone, I twisted the caster arm in a screw type motion until it wedged it's self and became very resistant to move!

Tested it out with the dogs, bed stayed still, life is good!!!

BTW, Bas, the idea about covering the entire underneath with padding would cause the dog hair and dust bunnies to nest making cleaning
difficult:rolf::rolf::rolf:

You all never disappoint! :banana:Many thanks and Happy Valentines Day!

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS