Because I can’t throw a piece of wood away

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I grew up in a part of the country where a person can literally travel for miles and not see a tree, and the nearest good hardwood species are hundreds of miles away. Consequently, if I think I can use any small scrap of lumber, I will try to find a way.

This gift box was an experiment that I’m actually quite pleased with. It is about 8 x 10 x 4 inches, and is made of red oak, white oak, black walnut, ash, hickory, poplar, hard maple, and ambrosia maple. I’m continuing to practice making dovetails. The finish is super blonde shellac and homemade paste wax.

Attachments

• IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1459.jpeg
    IMG_1459.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 107

llucas

luke
Senior User
that box looks great! It puts me in the mind of the pioneer days when wasting things was nearly a sin....hence patchwork quilts etc.
Thanks for sharing. BTW I think the dovetails look mighty fine too.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Waste not, want not...I too have difficulty designating any wood as scrap. That said, I do reach maximum capacity and have to fill the bed of my truck and head to the dump. I like your approach much better - beautiful gift box!

Echd

C
User
Anyone who has seen my garage knows I can't toss anything bigger than sawdust... and that generally gets turned into mulch or compost.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
We generate a lot of offcuts. Next time I will post pictures before they go to the fire pile, free for anyone who wishes to pick up.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS