Bear DQ status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I got a PM from Bear wanting to know what to do to become DQ qualified and "expedite" the process.

Why Mike Davis told him to PM me, I don't know. To me, this should require a Presidential order.:gar-La;

OK, back to being serious.

Looking at the rules Steve documented it looks like he has met all the criteria, BUT the kicker is he did not post his who we are thread until today. If I have read correctly, the software routine Steve built runs on the 25th of each month so he has missed his window to become DQ qualified until next month right?

Speaking of this software to do the DQ stuff, where is it? Is it a cron job that runs in linux or is it part of vbulletin or mysql?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
IMO he can wait just like everybody else has. There is no reason to give someone any special treatment. The reasoning behind the wait period is to keep folks from joining just for the discount. His first posts have been about the discount.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am not arguing that point at all. I still want to know do I have it right? Everything looks right, he just has to wait.

This is more about me knowing if I figured it out right or not as I totally agree he will have to wait.

M

McRabbet

The only thing that the FAQ file on the NCWoodworker DQ Program does not say is when the discount list is sent to participating vendors. It does outline all of the requirements and it is user responsibility to find out about it. One would think that any new user would look at a clear menu entry call Frequently Asked Questions, but they don't. It is also notable that 99% of new registrations (my guesstimate; it may be closer to 90%) do not opt-in for the discount program.

Bottom line -- I do not believe that Travis is responsible to "approve" DQ status. Second, we should not make any exceptions here. IMHO, the Webmaster (now TracyP) is responsible to see that the code is run each month at the appropriate time and that an update is sent to Klingspor and to other vendors. Again, y'all might want to consult with Steve to insure you know where the code resides and how he has coordinated it with Coleman Fourshee at Klingspor (I believe he sends an Excel file). My .02

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
vBulletin has its own version of cron they call Scheduled Tasks, not run by the OS.

For DQ, its called "Send Monthly DQ Mailing list" currently set to run on the 25th at 03:30am

Jim

I got a PM from Bear wanting to know what to do to become DQ qualified and "expedite" the process.

Speaking of this software to do the DQ stuff, where is it? Is it a cron job that runs in linux or is it part of vbulletin or mysql?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Like I said, I don't want to make exceptions, and I don't want to be in charge of exceptions. I don't care about giving him early access or anything like that. It isn't warranted. Steve did a decent job on the FAQ, but it needs to be updated and the dates that stuff happens needs to be updated. Right now, it is in 3 or 4 different threads/posts/documents.

Still my same question to you all has not been answered.

Can someone that knows please answer the questions below.

Have I read it right for why he is not discount qualified? Is it because he did not do the stuff until the 29th or is there something else?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Some clarifications.

DQ status is computed by a scheduled task called ncww promotions. This is run daily and also includes things like newbie, user, senior user and corporate member. This is run daily. There is usually something like a 6 - 12 hour delay between the time of the new designations and their showing up on the post bit and profile. But, if youneed to see sooner, just their secondary usergroups.

For Klingspor and the Woodworking Source, we send a difference list, (adds and deletes) once a month.That is what "Send Monthly DQ Mailing list" does. It done this way, because no one wants to have to update their list daily. We send differences by default, to limit the amount of work they have to do. There is a manual DB setting that will a complete new starter list if the DQ supplier wishes it. Uusally once a year.

DQ status is conferred only after 60 days. So worst case, a user might have to wait up to 90 days before they are on Klingspor's list.

All of this brings up another point. In addition to sending an email with attached Excel .csv file of changes,(sent from Discount.Program@ncwoodworker.net) a cc is sent to Discount.Program@ncwoodworker.net. Currently I have that POP3 address. Somebody who is going to admin the DQ program, should get those emails, not me. While the is a POP3, it could be changed to an alias for someone. Tracy should know how to do this. I turned over all the Godaay stuff to him.

Also I have all the old email's and .csv files, since I changed to the automated system. i should also foeward these old copies to the same person, becuase they are very useful for knowing what is going and to "troubleshoot" any issues.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Travis, your and my posts overlapped. Here is the actual answer. Bear became DQ early this morning but the display has not yet been updated to reflect that fact. His name will not go out to Klingspor until July 25, the scheduled klingspor update. The only way to get him on the list earlier than that would be to call Coleman and ask for a favor.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The FAQ on DQ needs to be updated to add the requirement about the who we are thread. Also it is not clear to me that DQ is a Treasurer's concern but more the Development Director.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS