Be On the Lookout When You are Outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
The baby Copperheads are out. I had one about 5 inches long crawl across the sidewalk as I was coming back in from the car. It was heading towards our Koi pond and if he had not been moving I may not have seen him. I had to have past very close to it when I walked to the car. No pics but I got him.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The baby Copperheads are out. I had one about 5 inches long crawl across the sidewalk as I was coming back in from the car. It was heading towards our Koi pond and if he had not been moving I may not have seen him. I had to have past very close to it when I walked to the car. No pics but I got him.

I've seen so many snakes this year here in southern IL I lost count... My favorites to watch and handle are both blue and southern black racers especially the blues, they are quick so you gotta be fast to catch them. There are also 3 types of king snakes around here (Prairie, Speckled and black) I've caught all three this year. I like to catch them and put them in the garden because it's good to have a few snakes in the garden. I terminated 2 copperheads (one northern and one southern) and 1 cottonmouth/water moccasin so far this year and I think I seen a timber rattler but I can't be sure it was... all I know I was out in the woods behind the house and there was a large vicious looking snake with a viper shaped head and rattled it's tale at me - needless to say I hand no desire to inspect that snake any further... this guy walked away right quick from that mess. There are so many snakes around here it's common place to see one or two a day... They even have a road called snake road not far from here that the county closes to traffic when the snakes start to cross it to find places in the cliffs to hibernate for the winter. My son asked me if I wanted to go and watch them cross the road when its time - I declined... I'm not all that interested really...

My wife found several snake skins by the front door of the house and we could not figure out where they were coming from... Well one evening I found my daughters cat bringing one up to the door... Geese thanks Stripper

Good thing you got that copperhead better safe than sorry when it comes to venomous snakes

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Not a fan of the copperheadedrattlemoccassins!! Other than those I can deal with them.
Not sure what happened to my blacksnakes. I had two nice ones up until about two years ago. It was pretty rare to see other snakes
anywhere close..
Last year and this I've had quite a few ribbon snakes, eastern water snakes, and a couple others around.
Wonder if and where one might get a couple of black snakes?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Andy, we have a couple of 4-foot black snakes around. They have been stealing eggs from our coop. If we catch them again, I'll see if you are still interested. We normally put them out in the woods on the other side of the pond.

Roy G

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Roy I would surely give them a home. Not aware of any prohibitive regulations on non-venomous slithering critters. Got a lovely spot in back of the wood shed they might appreciate.
Never thought of them bothering the duck eggs though... dang it- might have to rethink this one.

rcplaneguy

New User
John
Thanks for the heads up Bryan. I would not have thought this is "snake time" here, and I've been doing a lot of yard work recently.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
How about this guy. A timber rattlesnake about 36" long. Oh boy!
Not the best pic but you see what I saw.

Red

IMG_3760.jpg IMG_3759.jpg

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Opened up the barbeque lid a week or so ago, and a [ approx. ] 12" Pit Viper [ as best I could identify] triangle shaped head, curled up to get out of the cold. Fortunately he was sluggish, picked him up with a LONG stick, flipped him into the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS