Bathroom Vanity WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
I have been working on a bathroom vanity for a couple weeks now and have run into my first question. Some of you may remember the Shaker style vanity that was in Workbench several years ago. I will be building a variation of that out of walnut. At this point I am about to assemble the sides which are frame and panel. My plan is to not add any color to the wood, but since it will be in the bathroom, I will need to protect it well. I have read many times that when you build frame and panel assemblies, you need to stain the panels first so that shrinkage will not leave uncolored wood, which makes sense. With that in mind, it would also make sense that although I do not plan to stain the wood, I will need to sand the panels to the final grit before I assemble them. All that to ask this question: When you build a case, do you sand the inside of the case to the same grit, knowing that it will require finish? If not, do you sand it at all, or just finish the unsanded wood?

Here are a few pictures of the vanity in progress. This is the rough walnut.
166_7360_1.jpg

And here is the face frame. All the joints are M&T.
166_7361_1.jpg

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
It looks like you are planning drawers on the outside of the case. You do not need to sand the inside of the end panels since they will not be seen. You can finish the inside with a sealer to protect it. I would not sand the inside if you are not going to see it.

rhett

New User
rhett
Looks like you are off to an excellent start. Are you planning on doing a 45 on the corners? On to your question, I routinely sand everything seen or not. Although I have been using pre-finished ply for my cases now for some time and have nothing bad to say about it. The conversion varnish finish is practically bullet proof! Just cut it and put it together. Saves alot of time and frustration.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Thanks guys! Rhett, is there a reason you sand inside or just because? And no, the corners are rabbeted and the sides will fit into those.

DavidF

New User
David
I sand inside cases, but maybe not to the 320 I might use on the outside, normally 220. I finish the insides to ensure balanced moisture absorbsion to try and avoid too much warping. Also, if like me you know other woodworkers (and now of course we know 1000+) they will certainly look in the places they shouldn't!!!!!

J

jeff...

Sanding is the worst part of making something, I think I would rather eat dirt than sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS