Bandsaw Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Anyone in the North Raleigh area one night this week, I could use some help. My Delta bandsaw is acting up something fierce. It keeps throwing the blade off. I have tried allI know and consulted my library, but no joy. :-( It is probably something simple. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you can stop by.

Thanks,

Doug

T

toolferone

Doug, I could come by Wednesday afternoon and and have a look see.

Nativespec

New User
David
Doug:

If you cannot adjust the tracking, it could be the tires are worn. Could also be a problem with the blade.

Thanks,

David

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Tom: Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.. Travis may come by tongiht.

David the wheels look good and I have tried multiple blades. Including new ones. I think something has become misaligned or there may be a problem with the tension spring.

Doug

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Travis came by (thanks!) Turns out my spring was probably shot. I learned that I should release the tension when I am done each time. I probably shortened the life of the spring considerably.

Thanks Travis and thank you Tom for your offer.

Doug

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Interesting idea about releasing the tension after each use. I remember the difficulty I had getting enough tension so that I could use my bandsaw, I can see where a man might release the tension after each use but for a woman that would be quite a chore. Glad to know that you were able to solve your problem. Isn't it wonderful to be able to turn to your friends and find help? Lorraine

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Lorraine, I've been learning allot lately on tuning Bandsaws and the use and care of them. It is always recommended that the tension be released/lessened from the bandsaw when not in use.
Reasons given/being are, blade life, tire wear, bearing life. etc.
A good rule to use if you don't have a tension release lever/device is to count the number of turns that it takes to properly tension your blade.
Then when your done for the day, back off the tension about 1/2 of that those turns.
So if it takes 10 (1/2 turns) then back it off 5.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Overall, if you are not using your saw every day releasing the tension is pretty important. It releases the strain on the frame and bandsaw blades, keeps your springs from getting compressed, and keeps your tires/wheels from getting flat. I can't say I do it every time, but when I know that I am not going to use it for a while, I do release it.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
You guys have never steered me wrong before so I guess I should give it serious thought however my arms aren't very strong. It is good information to know and I will probably start doing it also. Lorraine

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Lorraine, you can make* or buy* a crank handle to replace the tension knob- makes it a bit easier to de-tension. You might have to stand on something to get the right height or angle.

*sources and articles abound

De-tension but don't forget to re-tension before you turn it on again- not pretty what it does to a blade. Hmmm, how do I know? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

There was quite a discussion of the tensioning issue awhile back on some WW forum. I believe Mark Duginske and many others weighed in (though it wasn't as heated a thread as the recent one about Duginske's article on the inadequacies of after-market tension gauges and springs- another big issue in itself). Anyway, there were some old-timers who said they NEVER de-tensioned their blades and never had a problem. I suspect they had "old arn" with hefty frames and springs and weren't too concerned about having to replace blades.

The best thing is to get a bandsaw with a tension lever, then it is really easy to de-tension/re-tension (when you remember :roll: ). I found that parts for the tension lever on the newer Deltas would fit my older model so was able to upgrade my bandsaw to a lever tensioner without having to spend $150 on a Carter tensioning rig.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
My bandsaw is an old Craftsman by Sears that is 12 to 15 years old and that is just a guess, I purchased it used. Yes Allen, I am short so I would also need a bench to stand on. Seriously, I have had my bandsaw for about three years now and never had any problems with it. Its like the RAS, it just stands there waiting to be used. It is such a pain for me to put a blade on it and set the proper tension that I hate to think of moving the tension the least bit. Maybe I am one of those who never has a problem. How much is a spring, maybe I could take my chances and let it remain as it is. Somethings in a shop just aren't as easy for a woman to handle as they are for a man. This is one of them for me. Lorraine

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
A spring will be 5 to 20 dollars. Don't forget, it can wear the tires and bearings out and that will be a bit more and a lot more work.

My suggestion with your situation is this. If you aren't going to use it for a week or more, loosen it up, otherwise, let it be and go forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS