Bandsaw blades - 71 3/4" vs. 72"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
As many of you know I was given an older Delta/Rockwell 10" bandsaw a week or so ago. It didn't come with any blades and the manual calls for a 71 3/4" blade. I can find 71 3/4" blades although 72" blades are easier to find.

Does anyone see any issue with using a 72" blades as apposed to a 71 3/4"?

Thanks,

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
Mike I have an old delta homecraft 10" saw and was able to get some blades for it at a saw shop in Wilson. I did have a longer one and it didn't tighten up. It will handle a short blade rather than a longer one. So... be careful. Harry

Toddler

New User
Todd
We're talking about 1/8" movement of the top wheel to make up the difference. Does tightening the tension knob move the tire a lot more than that, or only a tiny bit.

Seems to me you loose 1/8" of threads on your tension screw, maybe a tiny bit more, and then you are starting to tighten the same amount with each twist of the knob.

Is that wrong?

Todd

MikeH

New User
Mike
We're talking about 1/8" movement of the top wheel to make up the difference. Does tightening the tension knob move the tire a lot more than that, or only a tiny bit.

Seems to me you loose 1/8" of threads on your tension screw, maybe a tiny bit more, and then you are starting to tighten the same amount with each twist of the knob.

Is that wrong?

Todd

I wouldn't think 1/4" would make a big difference. But then again, I'm not an engineer. :slap:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
As many of you know I was given an older Delta/Rockwell 10" bandsaw a week or so ago. It didn't come with any blades and the manual calls for a 71 3/4" blade. I can find 71 3/4" blades although 72" blades are easier to find.

Does anyone see any issue with using a 72" blades as apposed to a 71 3/4"?

Thanks,

Mike, Suffolk machinery or anyone else will cut the blades to length and weld them. They do that for ALL blades. They can't cut it EXACTLY to length, they can cut it to the nearest tooth gap where they weld. I'd venture 71.5 is better than 72.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS