Band saw tires

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I messed up the upper tire on my Laguna SUV 14.

I'm new to all this and ran an odd shaped log through my band saw and must have done it too fast or pushed to hard or twisted it or something. Either way I noticed today that when the blade got pushed back it cut the top tire and so I figure my tracking is going to be a mess now. Laguna sells a urethane tire but my is rubber.

Is there a difference in performance?

Is one better than the other?

It seems other folks sell rubber and I assume a 14 inch from another company will still fit but then there might be a good better or best product put there.

Can anybody point me in a quality, good direction with this.

Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have urethanes on both my saws, they perform better/longer.

It sounds like you did not have the log secure so it would not twist or wane .... and maybe the blade was a bit looser than it should have been. I recommend viewing Snodgrass's how to tune your band saw on You tube. There are others, trying to rememebr another might have been Rob Crosman. Anyway that gets you aimed the right direction. Hope that helps.

gmakra

New User
George
Unless you have a chunk missing or your tires are really dried out you shouldn't have a problem.
Urethane is the way to go when you replace the tire.
And if you do have to replace you will need a second person to help and even then your gonna look like a scene from the Three Stooges.

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’ve replaced mine on 2 saws and went to urethane. I purchased mine from Sulphur Grove Tool (www.sgtool.com) and had a good experience. You can input your saw information and they will tell you which ones to purchase. I did it for my 1970’s era 14” Delta and my Minimax MM16, and received exactly what I needed. Then came the adventure of installing them.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have urethanes on both my saws, they perform better/longer.

It sounds like you did not have the log secure so it would not twist or wane .... and maybe the blade was a bit looser than it should have been. I recommend viewing Snodgrass's how to tune your band saw on You tube. There are others, trying to rememebr another might have been Rob Crosman. Anyway that gets you aimed the right direction. Hope that helps.
True enough on securing the log better. It was odd shaped as well. Resawing has been good with square wood but logs have not turned out as nice as the Youtube guys get. I had not noticed until yesterday that the tire had been damaged so odds are I messed it up 3 logs ago and the rest was just the fight.

Thanks

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Unless you have a chunk missing or your tires are really dried out you shouldn't have a problem.
Urethane is the way to go when you replace the tire.
And if you do have to replace you will need a second person to help and even then your gonna look like a scene from the Three Stooges.
It has a groove all the way around it now so it will need replacing. With the larger resaw blade on it the tracking has it pretty far back. It actually pushed back and cut into the metal on the housing a little.

Thanks

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I’ve replaced mine on 2 saws and went to urethane. I purchased mine from Sulphur Grove Tool (www.sgtool.com) and had a good experience. You can input your saw information and they will tell you which ones to purchase. I did it for my 1970’s era 14” Delta and my Minimax MM16, and received exactly what I needed. Then came the adventure of installing them.
Thanks, so many sites and names to sort out. I'll check them out.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ditto on Sulpher Grove. Good video on installation also.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
In addition to Sulphur Grove, check out Blue Max tires. Currently, I'm running Sulphur Groves, but next time, I will give Blue Max a try.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
In addition to Sulphur Grove, check out Blue Max tires. Currently, I'm running Sulphur Groves, but next time, I will give Blue Max a try.
Thanks. Since all seems to like Snodgrass, what are the thoughts in Carters tires. Most all except Amazon seem to be similar in pricing. 23 to 30 dollars..

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have a '94 14" Delta. Changed the tires a few times. Night and day difference between the first time and last time. The reason for the difference, Utube. Watched a few videos and learned a lot. It will be time well spent.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Youtube has been great, especially if I watch just a few people then average what they say. Thanks

I do the same thing at the box stores with the department workers. Some know and some just repeat the last class they took.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks. Since all seems to like Snodgrass, what are the thoughts in Carters tires. Most all except Amazon seem to be similar in pricing. 23 to 30 dollars..
I got mine at Klingspor and you could do a BUNCH of shopping this weekend at the Klingspor Extravaganza, just click on the link

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think I am the only person who was not enamored with urethane tires. I put a set of Carters on a small delta and fond the splice was not very flat. I have not had my current saw long enough to contemplate replacement of the OEM rubber. I have no doubt, Urethane is way better than worn out rubber. Another advantage is I don't think they flat spot as much as rubber, so if you don't have a tension release, that could be a deciding factor.

I warmed mine up with a heating pad and followed the instructions. Difficult, but not that bad.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Thanks, I had seen, in the past, comments about rubber vs the urethane which is why I brought it up. Seems the vote is urethane and I'm too new at this to not follow the crowd.

Thanks

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Thanks, I ordered the Sulphur Grove product and thought I would just change the one at the top first and then see how it runs. Being new I'm not sure if I would know the difference if it did not.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors