Band Saw blade advice needed.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
So I picked up this little toy band saw last weekend. Its a Delta 28-150. I picked out the poly tire chips and installed rubber tires and then crowned the tires. It runs smooth as silk now. I went to Lowes and got a Bosch 1/8” blade for scrolling. 15 teeth per inch, .014 thick. Too late, I read where this blade was for ¼” stock.

The blade cut like it was completely dull even though it was brand new even in ¼” plywood. The cutting noise was like fingernails on a blackboard.

So I’m seeking the advice from people that have used this saw with success or have found a type blade that performs adequately.

The off-the-shelf blades seem to be .014 thick. That’s pretty thin in my book. I’m hoping that someone here has found success with a thicker blade on this little saw.

1     28-150 - 1.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
And I had a Bosch blade which was junk. 15 TPI is really really slow.
I had one. When you get any dust through it, the light weight wheels will go out of balance and it will shake so hard you can't see your line.
A thicker blade would mean it is cutting more and be even worse. Anyway, I get mine from Sawblades.com.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The blade is a skinny 15 TPI blade so yes, I did check and double checked after the first few attempts at cutting something. At this point, I'm not sure that it would make any difference. What's been your choice for a successful experience with these little saws?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
And I had a Bosch blade which was junk. 15 TPI is really really slow.
I had one. When you get any dust through it, the light weight wheels will go out of balance and it will shake so hard you can't see your line.
A thicker blade would mean it is cutting more and be even worse. Anyway, I get mine from Sawblades.com.
Tell me more about this blade you use on your 9" band saw such as TPI, thickness, and width.

I have four other wood cutting band saws and all sorts of good blades for them from various sources, but the focus here is the little 9" band saw.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would try to get a blade from the company that took over www.woodcraftblades.com

they use Starrett bi-metal stock on the larger blades, not sure but the small one should be equal quality.

I think the rule of thumb is 3-4 teeth in the cut so 15 sounds right for 1/4 inch.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
So I picked up this little toy band saw last weekend. Its a Delta 28-150. I picked out the poly tire chips and installed rubber tires and then crowned the tires. It runs smooth as silk now. I went to Lowes and got a Bosch 1/8” blade for scrolling. 15 teeth per inch, .014 thick. Too late, I read where this blade was for ¼” stock.

The blade cut like it was completely dull even though it was brand new even in ¼” plywood. The cutting noise was like fingernails on a blackboard.

So I’m seeking the advice from people that have used this saw with success or have found a type blade that performs adequately.

The off-the-shelf blades seem to be .014 thick. That’s pretty thin in my book. I’m hoping that someone here has found success with a thicker blade on this little saw.

View attachment 203949

I've had good luck with "Olson" & "SuperCut" blades. I'm not sure , but I think I've run some Grizzly blades too. Mine are shorter at 56-1/8"

SuperCut link

Olson

Most of the shorter blades are thin to prevent stress with smaller diameter wheels.
Added Note: I have very little experience with 1/8 blades, I usually run 1/4 or wider.

Tony

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I had one of these many years ago and agree with the others. The Olsen 1/8 & 1/4 blades with 3/4 tpi work great. These saws are actually pretty versatile for 4/4 hardwood stock. The 1/2 ho motor is a little underpowered so you have to go a little slower than with a larger saw and i never had any luck with resawing. The great thing is the blades aee really cheap. I have considered buying one again just for quick cuts as they take up very little room in the shop. It generally takes about 15-20 minutes to change blades and tune my saw whereas one of these is a 5 minute change. Also, a 137 inch blade is $35-50 compared to a 59 1/2 at $15. It is not a big deal if you break a blade pr wear one out.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Good stuff, Tony. Thanks for those leads. I know Olson from years back.
That I has no luck with the Bosch blades either.

I'd have thought that their band saw blades would be good. guilt by association. Their saber saw blades are second to none so I figured their band saw blades would be over the top also.
Wrong!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Good stuff, Tony. Thanks for those leads. I know Olson from years back.

I'd have thought that their band saw blades would be good. guilt by association. Their saber saw blades are second to none so I figured their band saw blades would be over the top also.
Wrong!
Totally agree with the jig saw blades. Their spade bits are good too.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Highland Hardware is a good choice

Link?

I get all sorts of hits on Highland Woodworking, but nothing cogent on Highland Hardware. More importantly, which Highland Hardware band saw blade stock number have you found that works well on the little band saw in question?

Sellers of blades .020 and thicker seem to be everywhere on the net, plus locally there are several places that will cut and weld to any size.

I may be looking for answers that aren't worth answering considering the quality level of the little band saw I'm trying to get cutting better than it does.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Highland woodslicer blades are second to none for resawing. However, they cost more than most and for the purpose of a small unit may not be worth the premium and shipping cost. Klingspor most likely has the Olsen in stock with no shipping cost of 1/3 the price of the blade added on.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Highland woodslicer blades are second to none for resawing. However, they cost more than most and for the purpose of a small unit may not be worth the premium and shipping cost. Klingspor most likely has the Olsen in stock with no shipping cost of 1/3 the price of the blade added on.

Tell me more about your successful experiences with putting those blades on the Delta 28-150 9" band saw, the focus of this thread. It sounds like you may be just the experienced expert I'm wanting to hear from.

Naturally, other size saws will be the focus of other threads.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Curious as the Delta benchtop I had was not difficult to change blades. Setting the guides ( I ran SpaceAge ceramic) was a bit finicky. Is there something odd about the 28-150? I think mine was the 28-185, but I can't remember. FWIW, it takes me about 5 minutes to be ready to cut on my Harvey C-14. Guide adjustment was a big selling point.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
My bad. Instead of saying "putting those blades on...", I should have written: "using those blades on..."
installing blades is as easy as any Chinese-made band saw.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
IME Olson are decent blades for small machines.

The last blade I bought for my big bandsaw was Infinity, it’s the best I’ve used so far. Much better and more durable than Wood Slicer!

Stick an Olson on there you’ll be happy.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS