Ball and claw cabriole chair legs

Danlbug

New User
Danny
I am making my first attempt at building a reproduction corner chair with ball and claw legs-just finished carving one leg b& c -came out fair but rough-what is best way to remove chisel facets from b& c and how much of the carving marks should be removed?

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Welcome to the forum.

Post your question in the general woodworking section and you will get some help.

Red

Danlbug

New User
Danny
A combination of fine rasps, files, scrapers, and sand paper—depending on how much refining you have to do
Thanks for your reply-what you suggested is basically what I am trying-very tedious but probably only way-I have a Fine sanding set I am going to try but don’t expect much from it-good news is only 3 legs left to carve!!

Danlbug

New User
Danny
I would agree, ball and claw are pretty refined carvings, a minimum amount of tool marks should be represented in the carving.
Thanks for your reply-what you suggest is the way I am trying-but it is really slow-this Is my first attempt at doing such intricate carving-built a reproduction secretary desk about 2 years ago with some shell carvings but they were easier than these legs-well only 3 legs left to carve!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors