Baby Crib...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sediener

New User
Steve
Got the 3/4 parts glued up today, would have finished but ran out of clamps...

I just need to make and install the pyramids for the square mortices you can see on the second pic and attach the caps and then get to finishing.

One side and both gates glued up.

DSC01900.JPG

Waiting for some more clamps...

DSC01901.JPG

The pyramids and lower cap will be made out of walnut, you can see some of it on the table behind the unglued up side.

I am thinking of just using a satin wipe on poly, no stain.

43 days and counting...
- Steve

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looking great Steve!! Did you do anyting about that "spot" on one of the legs??
You should have let me know you needed more clamps, I have a few that I'm not using today.
43 days and counting, it's coming down to the wire now, I bet you're excited :-D:-D

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looking good Steve!
You should easily finish this project before it's needed :lol:

Cheers,
Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Steve, the crib really looks nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Very nice wood. A whole lotta tight joints! I would think wipe on poly will look great.

Chuck

sediener

New User
Steve
You should have let me know you needed more clamps, I have a few that I'm not using today.
43 days and counting, it's coming down to the wire now, I bet you're excited :-D:-D

I was mistaken, it is 44, phew, more time to stock up on diapers. We are both getting excited. It will definitely be a new adventure.

About that weird internal check thingy that popped up on the leg...

I nibbled out the area with my WWII and then used a chisel and some sand paper to flatten the bottom. (I was too lazy to swap out to the dado blade)

I tried to match the color with some scrap pieces I had laying around and it looked really close until I sanded it down... I think I sanded through the area that matched and got into this lighter stuff. Maybe a little stain could get the colors matched up better?

DSC01902.JPG

If the baby complains I'll fix it...

- Steve

sediener

New User
Steve
Thanks for the offer of clamp support, I had borrowed 6 of those 50"ers from mburke911 so I was in a lot better shape than I would be by myself... I only have the last piece which I'll glue up tomorrow AM.

I need to pick up a couple of those 2-40" 2-24" Jet clamp packs from amazon and I'll be in good shape (as long as LOML doesn't see the bill.... :roll: )

- Steve

sediener

New User
Steve
Thanks, I ended up with two significantly different shades of maple so I decided to have all the vertical pieces the darker wood and all the horizontal pieces the lighter. (actually it just kinda happened but if anyone asks claim it as a design feature)

- Steve

Steve, the crib really looks nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Very nice wood. A whole lotta tight joints! I would think wipe on poly will look great.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That looks great Steve! That is a WHOLE LOT OF JOINERY! Hence why I don't think I have ever made one. I think I would go nuts.

J

jeff...

Very clean and lots-O-joints your doing a great job keep it going :icon_thum

sediener

New User
Steve
Almost there...

One more coat of wipe-on to go.

Here is one of the ends:

DSC01916.JPG

Now thats a crummy picture... I'll do better once it's put together.

- Steve

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
You have every right to "gloat" over that creation! Super nice work! Your Grand Kids will appreciate that some day. Congratulations.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, that turned out awesome. You should be very proud :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapIt looks like your wife and mine have the same decorating sense, I ended up with that color green in our bedroom :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

How many more days left :eusa_thin:eusa_thin

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Steve, that is a very beautiful and well-appointed crib. It fits the space beautifully and should last a few lifetimes.

Chuck

sediener

New User
Steve
Thanks everyone, it was fun to build. Now I have to pick up the wood for the dresser/changing table and hope to finish that in less than 38days.

I am glad that she picked that green and blue instead of something more girly. It took a couple hours for me to paint the two main colors and my wife over a week to stencil all of the flowers. I am glad she felt like doing those because I don't have the patience for something like that.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS