Automatic Dust Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Here is the link to my latest epic*

* I got a little carried away- it is a bit long at over 13 minutes! Since many of you have seen many of the stills used in this video, if you get bored and just want to see my Automatic Blast Gates in action go to the 8 min. mark.

For you video types, at 60 MB, it took around 45 minutes to render and 30 minutes to upload! It plays fine.

Though I'm still not ready for prime time, tomorrow I am shooting the video of the assembly table I built for the magazine article. I'll upload it to the American Woodworker site, but they will move to a different location- there will be a link in the magazine to it. The video will be very similar to the one I shot of my old assembly table, but hopefully better.

Shooting and editing video has been fun and a real learning experience, but I'm ready to get back to woodworking!!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Very nice Alan! I thought that I was the neat nut in the area but now I know better. Have you considered adding a time delay between machine turn-off and gate closure to make sure the line is clear?

mxracer

New User
Dan
Very nice Alan.

If you are willing to share some of the details I have a question.

I am wanting to do something similar (although not even close to being as elaborate as your system) but I'm having trouble at the blower.

What are you using at the blower to control on/off power to it? Everything I am finding is rated at low amperage, I need to be able to handle 20 amps at the blower motor. I have a 2 HP 110v blower motor and it's on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Again very nice.

Dan

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Very nice Alan! I thought that I was the neat nut in the area but now I know better. Have you considered adding a time delay between machine turn-off and gate closure to make sure the line is clear?

I thought about it, and though fairly easy to do (I would get my brother to build a little circuit board for each station :mrgreen: ) but then did a quick calculation using air flow and farthest distance from the cyclone- dust clears very quickly so decided a delay wasn't needed.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Very nice Alan.

If you are willing to share some of the details I have a question.

I am wanting to do something similar (although not even close to being as elaborate as your system) but I'm having trouble at the blower.

What are you using at the blower to control on/off power to it? Everything I am finding is rated at low amperage, I need to be able to handle 20 amps at the blower motor. I have a 2 HP 110v blower motor and it's on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Again very nice.

Dan

My low voltage (24V) control system powers the coil of a 30 amp contactor (a big relay) which controls 220V, 22 amp power to the DC. If you want to use your current remote- get a contactor (on Ebay, surplus source, or local electrical supply) that has a 110V AC coil. Use your remote to control the contactor and the contactor to operate the DC.

M

McRabbet

Dan,

I am using a Fasco H230B contactor like the ones sold here. It is a 2-pole unit (needed for switching both hot leads on 240 V power) and has a 120V coil to actuate the contactor. It is rated at 30 Amps and they are reasonably priced. You can often find them on ebay as well, but this is a pretty good price. I am controlling a 5 HP motor (21.5 Amp FLA) on my cyclone with it. When you wire it up, you can use a simple switch to control the 120 Volt power to the coil, or use a remote controlled power source (I have a Shop Fox Remote Switch like this one). I used an old cord set with the female end cut off that is wired to the Fasco coil and the male plug is plugged into the Shop Fox unit receptacle.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Another cheap source of contactors, though usually low voltage (24V) is your local HVAC place. These types of contactors are often thrown away with old AC units.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Thanks guys. That's what I was missing. I was searching relay, thinking of 12v relays in cars and was getting everything with low amperage for 110v.

Except now I have a reason to spend more money on the shop. :eek:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I'm sure glad Alan finally finished this video. Everytime he opens a blast gate my dog barks - and we live 8 miles away.:rotflm: That's some powerful setup.

Ernie

max_in_graham

New User
Max
All I can say is.... WOW!!

Truly impressive, Alan!

I'll be watching that video several more times to take it all in, but what an inspiration in ingenuity.

Thanx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors