Auction policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd like your thoughts on this: Do we need a policy for auctions/ raffles as to who gets to bid? Should the staff (web masters, administrators, etc.) be excluded? I may just be looking for problems that don't exist, but sometimes it's good to avoid even the semblance of impropriety. With the right setup, we could minimize the people to exclude, e.g. only the web masters and admins.

Related to that - is the auction open to anyone, or only DQ users? I'd vote for anyone (good way to draw people), but rewarding the loyal folks has merits too. :eusa_thin

These are wonderful "problems" to struggle with. I hope we have many more like them :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would say that the auctions/raffles be open to only members that are DQ. For the same reason that the discounts are, we don't want folks just joining the site to get in on a good deal and not participating or being part of the community.
As far as excluding certain staff members from the auctions/raffles I can see where you are going with this, with our access to the data base it could be rigged...but it wouldn't. I find this very noble of you Bas to think about the integrity of the system over your desire for cheap tools :slap:
I think the better way to "draw people" is to show them what the benefits of membership are if they join and participate.

MTCW,
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I concur with the requirement that participants must be DQ to get in, but here is the $64,000 question: it seems the majority of replies to the announcement have suggested a raffle -- can the new Classifieds software handle that? In many ways, I think a raffle would likely raise more funds for the site, but is it legal for us to run one?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't know about the legality (we'll let Steve break his teeth on that one), but it is a lot more complicated. We'd need to sell at least 50 tickets. That's 50 people who have to commit to buying something. And not all of them can use PayPal, some would want to use cash or check. The overhead would be substantial, and it could take days if not weeks to run. The software cannot really handle this I think, we'd have to list each raffle ticket as an individual item.

But it would probably raise more money.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The legality or lawfulness isn't an issue. We can do a raffle, up to two per year with a top prize of up to 50Gs. I agree with the software issue. It would probably be best to do this through Paypal earmarked for the Raffle or via check/cash mailed also earmarked. That would make more work for Steve as treasurer, but what else has he got to do now :gar-La;:gar-La;:gar-La;

Dave:)

toolman

New User
Chad
WOW! I go along with the Raffle :icon_thum More $$$$$$$... As for as the new Classified software, I believe Bas hit it on the head. :BangHead:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Let's not confuse auctions that are just a member trying to sell something and a fund raising auction. Auction are just someone trying sell somethingin calssifieds who wants the best offer, this is no different than what the old classifieds did except the software can do the work. Please do not put extra restrictions on auctions. Putting restrictions on raffles, I'm not sure makes sense. We are trying to raise money.

toolman

New User
Chad
Let's not confuse auctions that are just a member trying to sell something and a fund raising auction. Auction are just someone trying sell somethingin calssifieds who wants the best offer, this is no different than what the old classifieds did except the software can do the work. Please do not put extra restrictions on auctions. Putting restrictions on raffles, I'm not sure makes sense. We are trying to raise money.

I go along with Steve. :icon_thum But if we wanted to setup a Category for DQ we can and not change the rest of the Classified Categories. Just to let every body know if you didn't no. Just keep in mine we have usergroup permissions for each Categories, just like are Forum Categories.

We have 3 main Categories (For Sale, Items Wanted, and Auction) the limits on categories are just like are forum categories. At this time nonmembers can not see the classified, but a member can see all categories in the classified but can only go to the to category they have permissions to. So if we go there, we will be classifying members and I do not believe we need to go there!

As for as a raffle I would like going that way, I can come up with $10. or $20. but to bid on the table I will just look as the people with $$$$ get a nice setup!

The raffle time 1 to 2 months with a minimum of 100 sold at $10. = $1000. if after 2 months we have only sold 80 we would extend it 1 more month.

Just my $.02!:cool:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I go along with Steve. :icon_thum But if we wanted to setup a Category for DQ we can and not change the rest of the Classified Categories. Just to let every body know if you didn't no. Just keep in mine we have usergroup permissions for each Categories, just like are Forum Categories.

We have 3 main Categories (For Sale, Items Wanted, and Auction) the limits on categories are just like are forum categories. At this time nonmembers can not see the classified, but a member can see all categories in the classified but can only go to the to category they have permissions to. So if we go there, we will be classifying members and I do not believe we need to go there!

As for as a raffle I would like going that way, I can come up with $10. or $20. but to bid on the table I will just look as the people with $$$$ get a nice setup!

The raffle time 1 to 2 months with a minimum of 100 sold at $10. = $1000. if after 2 months we have only sold 80 we would extend it 1 more month.

Just my $.02!:cool:
Chad, please take it from me, 99% of all tickets that would be sold, will be sold in the first week.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think I didn't explain myself very well, a key indicator I'm well on my way on becoming a top-notch (assistant) web master! :)

Ordinary auctions should not have any restrictions. I was specifically talking about auctions/ raffles for a giveway, like the Kreg router table. Granted, we may never have one like this again, but I'm hoping this becomes a regular thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS