Attaching Solar Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

klimb2hi

New User
klimb2hi
Looking to install a solar system, I am in inquiring to see if there is anyone who has done this before. There appears to be some standard frames used for attaching solar panels to the roof. Has anyone used another method using materials purchased at the lumber yard?

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
might be worth an expensive cup of coffee at the local Barnes and Noble while you flip through some of the MotherEarth news/home power/etc magazines in the rack.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
In my experience (very limited) panels are attached in two ways. Either flat on the roof deck, flashed just like a sky light. Or on standoffs above the roof deck. Stand off starts under the course of shingles above actual location. This helps to shed rain.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I will install 9 3x9 panels on my roof. My panels are flat panels from Stiebel Eltron. They do sell mounting hardware, but I will use large aluminum angle with SS bolts and pipe boots on 4/12 pitch roof . I oversized the panels so I can mount the panels flat ob the roof witha 3" air spance. While there will some loss of efficiency, flat mounting is a lot easier both for mouting and service and looks.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors