Asheville represent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Hello all I was referred here by Bryan Somers. I'm the guy who was askin' all the questions over at Sawmill Creek, LOL! I'm new to all this, but I'm hooked real bad! I've always been into being creative and always loved furniture. I guess you could say obsessed. Made a good bit of artsy-fartsy furniture and houseware type things over the years. Most of the furniture was welded steel. I've always wanted to try woodworking but lacked what seemed to be an endless supply of proper tools and space. Well I bought my first house recently and started buying tools for renovating. The thought came to me that since I was aquiring tools for the house, they could certainly have a dual purpose! Well, that was kinda off base because since I started WW, I haven't had time for anything for the house! I spend what little spare time I have (3 year old son, not much) Devouring WW books and magazines and asking questions on message boards. I've been doing this for about 2 months and have finished 3 projects and am close to a 4th. Plenty of mistakes mostly due to rushing and lack of precision tools. It's okay though cuz I'm learning alot. I look at most of these early projects as practice runs while I try to teach myself techniques.
If anyone here is in the Asheville area let me know. I would love to have someone to learn from instead of trying to teach myself everything trial and error (mostly error!). Looking forward to getting to know you all. Peter:)

J

jeff...

Welcome to NCWoodworker.com (I beat Dave - I'm the first to reply) :rolf:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Welcome to NCWoodworker.com (I beat Dave - I'm the first to reply) :rolf:

sure, Jeff, even DaveO has to sleep sometime:rolf:

Welcome Peter, I am sure you will find lots of good answers to your questions here.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Welcome Peter,

Seems like you got thw WW'g bug real good. Well to answer your burning question reagrding the Assheville area, you're in luck. There are quite a few woodworkers in and around Asheville and we've formed a club that meets once a month.

We've got about 30 members today and we're growing. the club is made up of a myriad of backgrounds and a variety of skill levels from the beginner to the very accomplished professionals. You can see a little more about us on our new website WNCWA: Welcome.
wncwasmall.jpg

We'd be happy to have you join us.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Peter. I'm glad you jopined us. I think that you will find all the members, not just the ones in your area willing to help, advise and encourage. We have a lot of fun around here. Hope to see you around!!!

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the NC Woodworkers "home-while-at-home"! We are happy to have you join us -- you'll find lots of good information here and knowledgeable and friendly people who'll answer your questions.

I'm the current President of the Western NC Woodworkers Association and, as Dan Campbell has already said in his post, we are a group of about 30 woodworkers from the Asheville area that meet once a month, usually at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Our next meeting is April 7th and we'd be happy to have you join us. On this site, be sure to upload some pics of your projects into a Photo Gallery -- we have nearly 10,000 pics posted now -- and check out both the Links and Download Libraries for more good stuff.

Happy you've joined us!

Rob

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Rob and 'dancam', I would love to meet with you guys on April 7th. What time! One of the reasons I decided to join this site was because I was hoping to actually meet some WWers. I love Sawmill Creek, awesome guys/gals, just none local AFAIK. Hope you guys don't mind answering questions because I'm sure I'll be trying to pick all your brains. Never had any training. Actually only started this hobby a couple of months ago. See you soon.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome Peter I'm glad to see you on board lots of good folks here. I'm a newbie at this stuff too, so we'll learn together.

However do beware "Woodguy Disease" is rampant over here and I'm one of its latest victems :lol: Be careful or you'll be infected also.

M

McRabbet

We meet at 1:00 PM on April 7th at the Folk Art Center. I've put you on our e-mail notification list and you'll see more details about 10 days ahead of the meeting. Sawmill Creek is a good site -- I'm too busy cruising here to spend much time there, but it is a good site, too.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Peter!
NCWWer is a great resource filled with knowledgeable and friendly folks. Look forward to your input and questions. :icon_thum

Roger

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the site! Another wwer from western NC - yea! My husband and I live in Forest City, and both are involved in woodworking. Please post pictures of what you've done. We do LOVE pictures!

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Hey Peter, welcome to the site. I've been a mountain man, a father of a 3 year old and caught the woodbug myself. Everything has changed. The mountain man moved, the childrens have all growed up and the woodbug turned into full fledged termite diease. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS