Ash Veneer Office Cabinet

BKHam

Bradley
User
overall idea:
I have made some pretty standard cabinets for my wife's office (plywood, face frame, drawer slides, etc.) as practical storage once her job shifted home-based at the beginning of the pandemic. It was meant to be quick and practical.

for my office however, I was not interested in that. I find the wide face frames to be fine for a kitchen but clunky in furniture. So i settled on a hybrid approach to add a furniture look but some of the time saving advantages of cabinet construction. I wanted maximum storage so the cabinet is a full 8 feet tall with a 4 foot upper and lower section.
20221117_102933.jpg

Wood Choice:
I really like Ash, the ruggedness of oak, a slightly less coarse grain but a brightness in color. Ash plywood was super expensive and i have a bandsaw and small drum sander so i decided on veneering, at least for the sides of the cabinet. I ended up only edge banding the shelves.

Veneering:
The board I choose would require two seams for a ~12 inch deep cabinet.
-so i edge banded all 4 edges of the sides and then veneered the faces
-my vac bag wasn't big enough to handle the 4' so i had plywood cauls and a ton of clamps
-the veneer was thick enough that i could hand plane and scrape to clean it up
20220713_134254.jpg
20220802_154344.jpg
20221004_081837.jpg
20220918_154942.jpg

Joinery:
I used my dado stack to cut dados that show thru on the finished product. they came out nice and clean.
-i saw a tip on youtube on sizing the stack, the guy cut dados in a scrap for all the combos (2 blades, 2 blades plus a chipper, plus two chippers, etc)
-he did this will all the main parts of the stack, then you have a real world size example that you can add the smaller spacers to in order to achieve thicknesses
- Door Joinery was a miter that has a floating tenon in it. This matches the miter at the base and then decorative element in the TV section
-one place i saved time is by using overlay doors and drawers - i never do this, i love fitting doors and drawers
20221117_104741.jpg
20221117_104753.jpg

Hardware:
-As i mentioned i was trying a hybrid project so i used mortise-less hinges (see above) and ball bearing drawer slides
-the knobs are cast iron with a rustic texture
>if I dont make the knobs, I tend to find something cast iron online, i love the heft and feel
-i had to paint the hinges matte black to match
-the glass was ordered online and is a european river glass - also a rustic texture and haziness
20221117_104839.jpg
20221117_102942.jpg

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Very nice! I also love ash and have used it for all of the bigger furniture pieces I have made, save my wife’s live edge walnut desk.

rhanvey

Richard
Corporate Member
Incredible work. I really love the look of the light ash with that heavy textured iron hardware. Did you use a water based finish to keep it light?

BKHam

Bradley
User
Incredible work. I really love the look of the light ash with that heavy textured iron hardware. Did you use a water based finish to keep it light?
Yes. Used water based pre catalyzed lacquer. Semi gloss. Sprayed with a earlex.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Really nice design and execution. This is what I love about this forum. I would have never thought to do veneer like that on the sides. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Looks great and nice job on the jointery! Despite the fact it's tall, it doesn't intrude in the space but gives you the storage you need.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS