Ash Trees coming down - should I save the wood - Ash Borer killed them

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Title says most of it. I have people coming out tomorrow to remove 6 to 8 dead Ash trees from between two fences before they die further and fall on one of the fences.

Should I bother saving any of the longer / straighter pieces of wood for milling or are the bugs not worth messing with? They will haul everything off (for a price with gasoline so high) and I do know a local operation with a portable mill, but not a kiln. But I don't want to save wood that can't be used or will contaminate other things.

Counting on some good advice from people here in the know. The Ash trees around here are disappearing fast. This is similar to what happened to the Chestnut trees so prolific in times past.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Looks like the interior wood is usually salvageable since the dang things don't really bore the wood as much as they do the bark. Beautiful wood when you get it, especially in larger slabs. Back in WI they were (with large elms) left alone a lot in the middle of clearing fields years ago because the wood was so nice. If you have someone to sawyer it I'd saw give it a go.

Again, if these are yard trees good luck finding someone willing to mill it up.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like the interior wood is usually salvageable since the dang things don't really bore the wood as much as they do the bark. Beautiful wood when you get it, especially in larger slabs. Back in WI they were (with large elms) left alone a lot in the middle of clearing fields years ago because the wood was so nice. If you have someone to sawyer it I'd saw give it a go.

Again, if these are yard trees good luck finding someone willing to mill it up.
We are on twelve acres of here in Floyd, VA. The trees are between the dog fence and the horse fence so falling in the next few years might be a problem. Definitely not yard trees. The people that mow our yard also have a portable mill. Just trying to figure out if it is worth saving some of the wood for milling - it would take a long time to let it dry sufficiently without a kiln.

I've used Ash in a previous project as a structural member in a couch, so I know it is very strong wood when not damaged. Didn't know how bad the bugs would damage it.

Thanks for the advice. Might save some of it rather than have it all hauled off at my expense.

Anybody else know anything about this plague on our beautiful trees.

Echd

C
User
I can't speak authoritatively but I have purchased ash lumber with clear markings from borers and the damage was generally superficial and confined to only a very shallow depth.

I would think kiln drying in particular would handle any concerns.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
My understanding is usually the borers kill them by scarfing whole sections of bark off. Basically girdling the tree. Not much if any interior damage and if they are already in your neck of the woods trying salvaging usable wood is not likely to affect their spread.

tiswritten

Tis
User
The Emerald Ash Borer chews tunnels in the cambium layer just under the bark. This skirts the tree not allowing nutrients to get up the tree. This kills the tree. Once the tree dies, this triggers other insects/worms that do bore into the depth of dead/dying wood to come feast. In a truckload of Ash from this area, probably 25-30% of the boards are eaten up with small bug holes, not from the EAB but from these other insects/worms...yet caused by the EAB's actions. Kiln drying kills any bugs, but in my experience, Ash is something you have to watch for powderpost beetles if it sits too long. Ash seems to be their first choice for infestation.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I would recommend slabbing it and getting a place to kiln dry it to kill any bugs stilla round. Air drying over years will just invite insects and further damage. The ash tree is dying off just like the chestnut a 100 years ago, salvage what you can as it won't be long before that tree is basically gone.

tiswritten

Tis
User
AshHoles2.jpg
AshLog2.jpg
AshLog1.jpg

Attachments

• AshHoles1.jpg
    AshHoles1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
I've lumbered out a few trees and solar kiln dried the boards with fairly decent results. If you're going to do it don't leave them on the ground a long time. Nature's crew goes to work real fast. If you have someone that has a bandsaw mill, it'll be a lot easier than using a chainsaw mill. And have someone help as it's hard work for 1 person.

DECC

New User
Dave
It is always great to be able to salvage wood. Floyd is beautiful! Used to hunt up there.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth to salvage the wood. I just let the tree service haul off the logs and brush. Thanks for the insight though from this well informed group.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Ken - You bought some MDF from me a few years ago. I am in Fairlawn near Radford. I have a Lucas mill now with a slabber attachment. If you ever have a need in the future, I can travel to Floyd to saw for you. I also now of someone with a kiln near Floyd.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors