Arts and Crafts day at the Lowman house

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
This weekend, I made some footstools to put in front of my chair at the computer. Since I sit in front of the computer about 10 hours a day, they save on my back some. I decided I should make it in the color scheme NCState! Then a carolina fan jumped me for one, then a clemson fan jumped me! I thought they turned out pretty well. I could only find NC State stickers here in Raleigh (go figure), so the images for UNC and Clemson are just laying on top.

stool-1.jpg

stool2.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, those are REALLY SHARP!!!!! You might have yourself a little business started :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Outstanding Clay.:icon_thum I have made a few of those for the LOML and some of her friends. I made a simple flat top though. I really like the way you angled yours.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Regarding liscensing. I had a discussion with some people about it, just a hallway, water cooler talk. We figured that if I purchased the stickers, I have paid the liscense fee. If I print out the logos on my computer (like I did the UNC and Clemson), then I'd be in trouble, if I started selling them.

Opinions? Are our conclusions incorrect?

I like the angle.. althought I don't know what it is.... the legs are 6 inches tall in the back... 4 inches tall in the front, and the legs are about 8 inches tall. I'm sure with those measurements, someone can figure it out. When I tilted my miter gage to cut along the line I drew, I think I recal it being between 75 and 80 degrees? I could be wrong.. likely.. I am.

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
clowman said:
Regarding liscensing. I had a discussion with some people about it, just a hallway, water cooler talk. We figured that if I purchased the stickers, I have paid the liscense fee. If I print out the logos on my computer (like I did the UNC and Clemson), then I'd be in trouble, if I started selling them.

I think you're pretty much on the mark. Our guys here in the Athletic Department are nutso over protecting the logo, but the onesy-twosy thing probably wouldn't draw attention. On the other hand, if you put them in a consignment shop or something it'd be more likely to draw attention.

Its a nice project and would make great gifts.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Clay,

The foot rests look great. They'd probably sell like crazy at a place like the Flea Market.

... which brings me to my other point...

I have some legal advice for you... never take legal advice from a guy like me!!! Get something in writing from the school or a lawyer before you go into business.

Ray

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Well, the UNC stool looks pretty dang good, but those other ones need a new paint job. Might I suggest a nice shade of Carolina blue? :-D

Seriously, they look great. I built a stool similar to that for an elderly lady in our church who I noticed was using a cardboard box under the pew as a footstool. No painting or anything, just a simple poly coating. I thought about making some more similar to that one using college colors and logos, but decided against it after I read about licensing. As others have stated, if you use the color scheme and give them a sticker to go with it, there should be no issue as you ahve already purchased a license. Painting it on or running it off of a computer is a no-no, though.

Now I have no time for such projects, but after seeing yours, I may just have to make a couple as Christmas gifts!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nifty stools Clay with value-added, ergonomic forethought:icon_thum

School logos are controlled as diligently as businesses . . .like banks ;-)

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
clowman said:

I like the angle.. althought I don't know what it is.... the legs are 6 inches tall in the back... 4 inches tall in the front, and the legs are about 8 inches tall. I'm sure with those measurements, someone can figure it out. When I tilted my miter gage to cut along the line I drew, I think I recal it being between 75 and 80 degrees? I could be wrong.. likely.. I am.

76 deg....

DavidF

New User
David
clowman said:
I knew someone would find it... If nothing else but the challenge.

I made the assumption that when you said that the legs were 8" tall you meant the front - back dimension. Yes, it was just for the challenge:eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS