Anyone with a 3D printer that wants to make a few $'s?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Laguna LT 18" bandsaw that needs a new throat insert. It's an older model (originally made by Meber I believe). Anyway, I haven't been able to find a source for these inserts online. The newer ones have a different size. I did find a site that (I think) has the 3D print file needed. The old insert is 3-1/8" x 3-1/8" x about 1-3/16 thick".

Before I look for an online site that prints parts I thought I would see if a member with a 3D printer wants the business. I don't have any experience with these printers, but this seems like it would be an easy part to print. PM me if interested and what it would cost to have a couple of these made. I live in the Raleigh area, though I'm willing to pay for shipping.

Thanks in advance.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Not familiar with that BS but why is the insert so thick?
Seems like that would push the lower guides down a ways.

Echd

C
User
Not a big deal to run one off if you want to try one, but wouldn't it make more sense to go for a zero or very low clearance design?

I printed a plate for my 1412. I generally like my Laguna but the throat plate I received was definitely not flat- very disappointing attention to detail on a few aspects of mine... fortunately it's a very simple thing to fix.
Screenshot 2022-11-22 214127.gif

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Jim, do you know if there's a STL file available anywhere? I have a 3D printer and can print one for you. It would be much easier if we could find a file that someone already made. Otherwise, there's some drawing time involved and not just print runtime.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Not familiar with that BS but why is the insert so thick?
Seems like that would push the lower guides down a ways.

I have a MM16 which was built by Centauro, the throat insert is really thick, like 2“ ish. The reason the insert is so thick, is the ribbing on the cast iron table is very deep. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Meber was built similarly.

As well built as the MM16 is, the throat plate is not the most well made component of the build, it’s some kind of goofy fiber filled plastic.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
wouldn't it make more sense to go for a zero or very low clearance design?
Yes, I agree. The holes are for dust collection, so these are ok. As for the slot, making it solid and then cutting the slot or printing a very narrow one is best. The manual for the saw describes the replacement part and says you have to saw the slot yourself. The one I have is so worn it's hard to tell what is original from what was chewed out over time.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
have a MM16 which was built by Centauro, the throat insert is really thick, like 2“ ish. The reason the insert is so thick, is the ribbing on the cast iron table is very deep. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Meber was built similarly.

As well built as the MM16 is, the throat plate is not the most well made component of the build, it’s some kind of goofy fiber filled plastic.
That's the case with mine. The cast iron top is thick and requires the throat insert to be the same. I don't like the original plastic used in this part, either. A harder plastic would be better. It's a bit rubbery.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
@Jim, a member on a different woodworking forum milled a rebate in the cast iron top where the throat insert resides on a MM16, he then made a brass insert that was fitted into the rebate he milled with a Bridgeport. Its what should have been fitted to the bandsaw from the factory..

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting idea... I'd need a machine shop for that approach. Michael is printing a couple of inserts. I'll give these a try, first.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Several have commented on the thickness of this insert. I thought a picture might help. The lower guides are 5" below the table surface on this saw. It has a 1-1/4" resaw blade that I plan to keep on the saw.

IMG_3650.JPG

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Seems like you could start with 3 layers of Corian.
Remove the blade and fit the blob to the hole.
Drill some arbitrary airflow holes.
Mark for the slit and cut it.
Install the blade and the insert.

Just a thought.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Seems like you could start with 3 layers of Corian.
Remove the blade and fit the blob to the hole.
Drill some arbitrary airflow holes.
Mark for the slit and cut it.
Install the blade and the insert.

Just a thought.
Funny, Corian, 3D Printing but no one suggesting a piece of wood?:D

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
just for future reference, I have three 3d printers and I'm happy to help with 3D printing. I don't know how to design files but I can print them!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
For 3D printing at home, I do my design work in fusion 360. For 3D printing at work, all my design work is done in AutoCAD inventor.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS