Anyone use a Fuji 3-stage HVLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langd002

New User
Scott
Does anyone have experience with the 3-stage Fuji HVLP?

Is the 3-stage system strong enough to spray water-based topcoats?
Are the quieter versions of the system worth the extra $100-200 cost?
Does the new Fuji gun with the pattern control work as well as described.

I am looking to upgrade from my older earlex sprayer to a 3 or 4 stage HVLP. I would be spraying mostly water-based topcoats like General Finishes High Performance with it. I have read that people are generally happy with the Fuji systems and they are less expensive than the Apollo systems. I am a DIY'er working out of my garage and spraying in the driveway when the weather permits.

Thanks

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have the roughly $500 Fuji system which is 3 stage. I have sprayed only Resisthane through it so far. Resisthane is a water based finish described as a pre-cat lacquer by Hood finishing who offers it. I might try something else next, I like Resisthane but it has gone up in price and may not have the advantage it once did. I do not thin it or even check the viscosity. I did once and it was thicker than recommended by the manual but it sprays fine so I stopped doing it. Resisthane can be brushed, it is not close to water thin. It might be a little thinner than PolyCrylic (the Minwax product).

The knob on the new gun adjusts spray size some but if you want a wide range of spray size you will have to use the air control too. That is not a big deal, the knob is on the hose close to the gun. I can spray more than a foot wide pattern with my gun and Resisthane and it will drain the 1 quart cup in less than 5 minutes if I do. I adjusted it down quite a bit. If I let it spray this heavy I also have to be very careful about overlap or I will get runs.

I've finished one bedroom set so far using about a gallon and a half of finish. I am not great at spraying but I've done it some before mostly with a wagner conversion gun. The Fuji works much better than what I have used before. I can lay down a smooth finish that looks almost rubbed out on a horizontal surface with it. Cleaning takes hugely more time than spraying due to its ability to apply (and well atomize) a large volume of un-thinned finish. I got an extra cup I keep full of water. So when I finish a coat, I put a cap on the finish cup, put the water cup on, and spray for about 30 seconds. I change the water cut out (twice) and then just hang the gun up until the finish is dry and I'm ready for the next coat. This is possibly a bit casual but doesn't seem to have affected my results (yet).

I wish I'd bought the Fuji sooner. I am willing to believe more costly systems are better but I don't think I need anything better and I really don't understand how other systems can be better. The Fuji lays down a nice finish and is easily adjusted for pattern size. I'd be interested in seeing a detailed comparison and I have read some but they seem to end up saying that all the better systems will do a good job. The Fuji is the least expensive so I bought that.

With respect to noise, I wear protection. The system I have sounds a lot like a vacumn cleaner. It is not horribly loud. But I usually use hearing protection when I use my shop vacumn too. If I was doing this for a living I might want a system that doesn't require the muffs but for me the noise is not a big deal. If I forget and spray a coat on that way, my ears don't ring or anything, it is just a little noisy - like a vacumn.

Jim

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Do you already have an air compressor? If it's big enough, you may want to consider just getting an HVLP gun. It would be cheaper, and from the folks I've talked with, give you a better finish.
I researched this to death (HVLP gun and compressor vs. fuji system), and everyone I talked to recommended the gun over the air turbine system.

Try giving Jeff Jewitt a call, http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/ . He has written several books on spray finishing and seems to be the authoritative figure to ask.

I ultimately bought my CA Technologies gun from these folks as they had the best price and were very helpful, both before and after the sale.

http://www.paintsprayersplus.com/

If you are ever in the west cary area, I'd be happy to show you my setup.

Gonzalo

JimD

Jim
Senior User
On of the problems I had with my Wagner conversion gun (admittedly not a high end gun but not a cheapo either) was my compressor was too small. But it never sprayed anything like as well as the Fuji. I'm sure there are good conversion guns that would work well but my experience is they need a lot of air. I also question if they really put a better finish on the project than the Fuji. But without trying one I really don't know for sure. I only know my Wagner did not.

Jim

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Scott,

I have the Fuji Q4 and I love it, one of the best woodworking purchases I've ever made. I have sprayed lacquer, oil based paints, water based paints, oil based finishes, shellac, and water based finishes and the system does not make mistakes, only the operater:wink_smil. The only thing you have to do if you want to spray thick stuff is change tips and your off. I spray Target coating water based stuff straight outta the can and it works great. The only change I would make is getting the gravity gun over the pressurized. (but I'll probably just by one later anyway)

As you can tell I'm a big fan and Fuji's customer service is great also!

Hope this helps,
Mike

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Scott,

I have the Fuji Q4 and I love it, one of the best woodworking purchases I've ever made. I have sprayed lacquer, oil based paints, water based paints, oil based finishes, shellac, and water based finishes and the system does not make mistakes, only the operater:wink_smil. The only thing you have to do if you want to spray thick stuff is change tips and your off. I spray Target coating water based stuff straight outta the can and it works great. The only change I would make is getting the gravity gun over the pressurized. (but I'll probably just by one later anyway)

Hope this helps,
Mike

+1

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Mike,

I'm curious about the comment about the gravity gun. I need to refinish some kitchen cabinets (more inside than outside due to use (by "professionals") of the wrong primer). It looks like the gravity gun would spray inside a cabinet better but a pressure pot looks like it would help too. I go through finish quickly with the Fuji and I am worried that the little cup on the gravity gun would make this significantly worse (expecially versus a 2 quart pressure pot). Any thoughts or comments?

Jim

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Jim,

The gravity gun will work better inside cabinets and such and I don't believe you'll go through finish any faster, that's all determined by how much air your using and how hard your pulling the trigger!

Good luck

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Scott,

Hope this helps,
Mike

+ another one.
I have the gravity gun and it works great.
Also consider getting the lightweight hose "Flexible whip hose" attachment.....
It makes the gun much lighter for long sprays and "cools" the air from the turbine which helps with laquer.
Ron

BSHuff

New User
Brian
I have the previous version 4 stage Fuji, love it. Had a decent conversion gun, hated it. With the conversion gun you really need a good compressed air system (moisture traps, filters, piped runs to cool air, lots of capacity). Once i got the turbine gun it just worked. Setup was minimal, just turn it on, adjust flow and go.

My shop is in Pittsboro, I would be glad to let you come test drive it to see if it performs better than your existing setup.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have the old version of the Fuji Q-2 the 2 stage unit. It's a great tool. I don't find the noise that big of problem. I sold these tools before I purchased one. I did a lot of research before buying. The only reason I can see for the 4 stage turbine is the need to spray latex or some other thick product. My Q-2 has sprayed lacquer, poly & shellac. My finish of choice is shellac. I have adopted a master woodworker friend of mine finishing technique. Linseed oil, multiple coats of shellac and finish with several coats of wipe-on poly on horizontal surfaces. The 2 stage Q-2 works well for me using this regiment.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS