Anyone use a fien multimaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanf

New User
Roman
I have a couple of these units. They are absolutely awesome and work even better than advertised. I have removed grout, cut tenons and mortises, sanded metal doors, removed caulk, etc.

These machines are very capable and easy to handle and to use.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I have the Bosch cordless version and it is a great tool. If you are a pro, relatively short battery life might be a pain for you. I have three batteries so it's not an issue for me. In general the tool concept is great though. Thanks Fein! :)

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I have a couple of these units. They are absolutely awesome and work even better than advertised. I have removed grout, cut tenons and mortises, sanded metal doors, removed caulk, etc.

These machines are very capable and easy to handle and to use.

Agreed, very handy to have around.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I have one and need to point out that the blades are ridiculously expensive. Some people really like the Harbor Freight version too. The scraper is slick on caulk as well as dried glue.
Cost of blades is my main complaint. I have about 10 hours on it and about 5-7 blades. The detail sander attachment is more trouble than sanding by hand. The primary advantage of this type tool is the ability to plunge cut; when nothing else will get into the space!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the Harbor Freight version. Like most HF tools, it's loud and gets warm pretty quickly. But, I believe the other knock-offs (Craftsman, Dremel) have the same problems. At $30 (with coupon), it's pretty good value for the money.

This tool is unbelievably handy on many DIY projects. It is great for cutting into drywall & door jambs, and the scraper can get lots of stuff you'd normally have to hack hours by hand. Like Joe said, it's great for plunge cutting or working in a confined space. I needed to make a hole in some 2x4s in a very tight area last month, far too tight for a hammer and chisel. The multitool made short work of it.

The blades definitely don't last too long. In fact, the three blades that come with the kit are almost as expensive as buying them separately!

lottathought

New User
Michael
I have been looking at these for a while.
Just out of curiosity.......
If the blades are so much more expensive for the Fein.....can these blades be substituted with replacements from a less expensive brand version of this?

And how long do the blades typically last?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Fein blades $25 + each....4 nails or 8 feet of 2" hardwood.

Sears blades $6 + each....1 nails or 3 feet of 2" hardwood (Nextec, sp). These have a weaker post pattern, but will fit. However, the drive star WILL strip out the post teeth when an obstacle i.e. a large nail is encountered.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Joe..thanks for the info. Can you clarify one point though?..the stripping out..is that on the blade or the Fein tool?

lottathought

New User
Michael
It would almost have to fall apart at the slightest use to be a bad choice with those price differences though. :wink_smil

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I keep Fein E-cut blades (Amazon has good prices in their email flyer from time to time) in the case for when I know, or suspect that there is metal hidden in the cut line. Otherwise, I just burn up some Sears. And they do smoke! But they cut good right up until they 'light up'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS