Anyone need a hardwood bench top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Mike Jurnigan, a woodworker who hangs out at WoodCentral and lives in Suffolk, VA is making a run north in February and will stop at Bally Block in Philly. He has offered to pick up seconds (tops) for people for cost and gas money.

If you have never heard of Bally Block/Michigan Maple Block, they are a major wholesaler of hardwood butcher block table tops and counters (Grizzly sells their stuff). They also sell seconds from their Philly location. The seconds have flaws that make them unmarketable but are often so minor that they are barely noticeable. These seconds would make great pre-laminated bench tops at a price you can't touch by buying hard maple and making your own.

You have to call Bally to see what they have and how much they want. As you can guess their stock of seconds changes all the time. I reserved a 33" X 72" X 3" hard maple top which will cost me $75. It is used and came from an Army base but at 3" thick it should mill up so it looks new. I will drive up to Mike's to get the top.

If you are interested, take a look at the Bally site, Griz retail prices, and see what Mike says on Wood Central.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I would be interested in one! @How much for red-hi-lited. Im in Cary, how far to pick-up?
1 3/4" Standard Maple Benchtops

[FONT=georgia,times new roman,times,serif]1 3/4" Standard Maple Benchtops Square Edge[/FONT]

24" Deep
X
X

28" Deep
X
X

Thanks!

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Alan,
I'd love to get one of the same that you have reserved but I don't find any available on the site.Do I have to call them or is there a particular link that they are hiding behind.Is there a phone number that I could call them and reserve one.Either way $75 is a heck of a deal.Thanx for the info.
Greg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I'm just passing along the info, and not involved in the process (but I am buying a top).

Remember, I am talking seconds. These are not listed, advertised, nor even mentioned on the Bally site. Just a good deal some woodworkers found out about a number of years ago that people have been taking advantage of. Mike is a woodworker like us and is making a trip to get a second, but has offered to pickup up seconds for other woodworkers in exchange for gas and expenses.

If you think you may want a second:

(1) Call Bally, ask for Russell, and ask him what seconds he (Bally) has (stock changes all the time) and for what price (varies by the item). If you decide you want something (sight unseen, no refunds, you are taking a chance), ask him to put it on hold for you until Mike picks it up around Feb 13.

(2) Call or email Mike Jurnigan to make arrangements for him to pick it up for you and make arrangements to pay him ahead of time for the top (and possibly $30 gas/trouble money). He must pay Bally in cash at time of pickup. I realize some may not like that idea.

(3) Lastly, unless you live in VA along his route (Philly to Richmond via I-95, I-64 to Suffolk, VA), you need to pick up your top at Mike's shop, in Suffolk. It is a straight shot north of me. I could pick it up and return it to Washington, but you would need to come get it from me. Remember, too, these things weigh a ton!!!!

Bally and Mike's numbers and Mike's email address are listed in his Wood Central post at the link in my post. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS