Anyone have a planer and willing to help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kailynjay

New User
Kailyn
Hey everyone,

I have four wood slabs I want to plane flat so I can finish up my coffee tables, 3 of the dimensions are about 44”x~21”x2”, the other one has one side over 25" in length so I am not sure I'll be able to plane that one.
They are white oak, no nails or metal in them.
I don't have the tools to accomplish this which is why I turned to this forum. I can definitely compensate if you need me to if you are willing to help a girl out.

I live in the Fayetteville
area, but will drive up to an hour if I need to.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Kailyn

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... 3 of the dimensions are about 44”x~21”x2”, the other one has one side over 25" in length ...

Kailyn

Welcome to the forum, where there are a lot of very helpful people.

I think you are asking for someone with a planer that can handle at least 21 inches wide, or in one case 25 inches wide, boards. That is a big planer - and only places that handle big stock have such beasts. Most stationary planers are 15" (or 12-13" like mine) and the portable planers are almost universally 12-13" wide. So I think you are looking for a 'specialty' rather than a common machine. There may be a few out there, especially at lumber suppliers or the hardwood stores.

Alternatives? You may have to resort try a router sled to flatten (search online the info is out there) or hand planes, if you can't find what you are looking for as a service.

kailynjay

New User
Kailyn
Thank you for the information! I did find a lumber yard online that has a 25" one, but I was going to see if there was anyone in a closer vicinity to me.
Have a friend who knew a guy that had one but unfortunately his sustained damage during Hurricane Mathew last year

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
you are asking for someone with a planer that can handle at least 21 inches wide....only places that handle big stock have such beasts.

(tonight's entertainment will be seeing how many 21"+ planers there are among NCWWers... I think I've seen at least 3...)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can also check with a custom cabinet shop to run through a drum sander instead of planing flat. How much material are needing removed?

kailynjay

New User
Kailyn
It's hard to really say, one of the boards has a hill, the others just have small warps in the center. If I can't find the planer, and I don't have the time or skill to do the router, I am not too opposed to just sanding it down the best that I can. I don't mind a bit of character.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Contact Scott Smith (scsmith42) at this site and ask. He has the equipment to handle +25" width. He's in New Hill, NC so about 60 miles from Fayetteville.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It's hard to really say, one of the boards has a hill, the others just have small warps in the center. If I can't find the planer, and I don't have the time or skill to do the router, I am not too opposed to just sanding it down the best that I can. I don't mind a bit of character.
Kailynjay,
A planer does not flatten large boards like these, only a jointer can do that. A planer will make a board a uniform thickness but cant straighten it. You really need to setup an overhead gantry system with a router to flatten one face or find a 24" jointer. I recently finished doing a dining tabletop like this myself. The other option would be someone with a CNC router to flatten them. Good luck!.

kailynjay

New User
Kailyn
Kailynjay,
A planer does not flatten large boards like these, only a jointer can do that. A planer will make a board a uniform thickness but cant straighten it. You really need to setup an overhead gantry system with a router to flatten one face or find a 24" jointer. I recently finished doing a dining tabletop like this myself. The other option would be someone with a CNC router to flatten them. Good luck!.

Thanks for the info! I guess I need the jointer then, I want to leave the thickness as much as I can. Just want to flatten out the pieces, I just assumed the thickness would have to be reduced a little in order to do that and that's why the planer would work. One of the slabs also has an area where the saw blade tore it up a bit. I can easily put that side as the bottom of the table if need be though.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Scott will be able to steer you right and will likely be able to flatten your stock with his resources. Another option not mentioned is a hand plane, preferably longer. The caveat is that you'd need the hand plane and to be adept at sharpening.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
(tonight's entertainment will be seeing how many 21"+ planers there are among NCWWers... I think I've seen at least 3...)

21” + planer is easy. What separates the men from the boy’s is who has a jointer that is 21”+....... (grin)

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I have a 20" jointer if you were closer or the CNC. Call a few cabinet shops and ask if they have a CNC. Would only take a few minutes to knock that out. I've done a 4' by 9' 3" thick table top on the CNC that way but you will have a lot more sanding to do....but it will be flat

JohnW

New User
John
Another way to do this is to cut the boards in half, or in thirds. Run one side over jointer to get it flat, then go through planer to get uniform thickness, then glue back together. This has several advantages.
1. you can use smaller machines which are more plentiful.
2. You will probably waste less wood because getting a 7" - 12" board flat is typically easier then getting a +20" board flat. All depends on how much twist and cupping you have, but smaller widths tend to require less planning to get them flat.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Another way to do this is to cut the boards in half, or in thirds. Run one side over jointer to get it flat, then go through planer to get uniform thickness, then glue back together. This has several advantages.
1. you can use smaller machines which are more plentiful.
2. You will probably waste less wood because getting a 7" - 12" board flat is typically easier then getting a +20" board flat. All depends on how much twist and cupping you have, but smaller widths tend to require less planning to get them flat.

Or, there is the old hand plane method!

ScottMaurer

New User
Scott
Hand planning is the most accessible option here. If you don't have a couple it could get expensive. If you were in Raleigh I would offer to help but maybe you can find someone local that doesn't mind. Flattening stock by hand takes work but less time than you would think.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Hand planning is the most accessible option here. If you don't have a couple it could get expensive. If you were in Raleigh I would offer to help but maybe you can find someone local that doesn't mind. Flattening stock by hand takes work but less time than you would think.

Agreed! Another good thing is you don't handle the workpiece, just the hand tools!

riverstwo

New User
Randy
I'm on the other side of Bragg from you and could work them down with hand planes for you if you're still looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS