Anyone ever seen one of these saws before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sediener

New User
Steve
It was my grandfather's but I have no idea of the history other than that.

It is about 13" long and says Spear and Jackson Sheffield on the medallion and the blade.

Looks pretty old to me but I can't find any resources on Spear and Jackson like are around for Disston saws.

I'm thinking of cleaning it up myself learning how to sharpen and turning it into a usable saw but don't want to do it if it is rare.

thanks,
- Steve

R

rickc

I suggest you contact someone in the MWTCA (Midwest Tool Collector's Association). I went to their website and as you watch the slideshow progress, there is a handsaw that looks very similar to the one you have, but for the fact it has decorative engraving on the handle. See...

saw_handle.jpg

My guess is that someone there can answer your question.

Ed Hobbs and Bill Anderson on this site might be able to as well. Do a search on this site for MWTCA and you can probably dig up some additional contact information to get your question answered.

One other possible lead - is there a patent number on it? If so, you can track it down through the patent office.

Remember to share what you learn!

Rick

sawman

New User
Albert
Steve,
First, I agree with Rick, the MWTCA would be the group to contact.

Second, 1850 to 1860, the saw manufacturer stopped using split nuts for attaching the handles to the saw. Check your to see if it has split nuts. A split nut is slotted but has a screw/bolt shank in the center of it, hence the name split nut.

Later,
Albert :saw:

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
...Can't help you with your saw query,

BUT

I can help you get started sharpening. My great-great grandfather started a sawmill sometime soon after the civil war in Ashe County, NC. There wasn't any documentation that made it to the twenty first century, but I know the operation was a 'primitive' one -- a lot of work was done by hand. Most work up in the nearly inaccessible Ashe County was. It passed on to my great grandfather, and the operation died during the depression. All thats left are a LOT of saw sets; sadly, most of the saws are lost. I only know how to use two of them, but I would be glad to let you borrow one of the older ones that works well. PM if interested.

Morgan

sediener

New User
Steve
Steve,
First, I agree with Rick, the MWTCA would be the group to contact.

Second, 1850 to 1860, the saw manufacturer stopped using split nuts for attaching the handles to the saw. Check your to see if it has split nuts. A split nut is slotted but has a screw/bolt shank in the center of it, hence the name split nut.

Later,
Albert :saw:
Yes it does have split nuts. So were looking at pre 1860? wow, that's pretty cool.

- Steve

sediener

New User
Steve
I suggest you contact someone in the MWTCA (Midwest Tool Collector's Association). I went to their website and as you watch the slideshow progress, there is a handsaw that looks very similar to the one you have, but for the fact it has decorative engraving on the handle. See...

saw_handle.jpg

My guess is that someone there can answer your question.

Ed Hobbs and Bill Anderson on this site might be able to as well. Do a search on this site for MWTCA and you can probably dig up some additional contact information to get your question answered.

One other possible lead - is there a patent number on it? If so, you can track it down through the patent office.

Remember to share what you learn!

Rick

I'll be sure to bring it out to Bill's site when I take a class out there next. No patent number that I can find. The blade is in pretty rough shape though and it is made in Sheffield England so I don't know if there would be one?

- Steve

sediener

New User
Steve
...Can't help you with your saw query,

BUT

I can help you get started sharpening. My great-great grandfather started a sawmill sometime soon after the civil war in Ashe County, NC. There wasn't any documentation that made it to the twenty first century, but I know the operation was a 'primitive' one -- a lot of work was done by hand. Most work up in the nearly inaccessible Ashe County was. It passed on to my great grandfather, and the operation died during the depression. All thats left are a LOT of saw sets; sadly, most of the saws are lost. I only know how to use two of them, but I would be glad to let you borrow one of the older ones that works well. PM if interested.

Morgan

Thanks for the offer, I'll get in touch with you if I decide to rehab it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS