Anybody use WoodRat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I have a friend that gave me his WoodRat to use for as long as I wanted to keep it. It seemed to be a great tool for doing floating tenons etc. I tried it yesterday and see that it is good for the end of rails etc, but the hold downs are small and you have a hard time squaring up the board if it is much wider than the hold downs. The long board that I had to put the other end up on a roller stand to hold level,would twist slightly when I clamped down on it, as it was narrow that way and had less surface area up against the left side fence. The cam lever on the right would push against the bottom edge of the board and twist it. Any suggestions on this. I was thinking of buying a mortise machine but thought this may do the trick. Not so sure now.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've got one and am happy to say they are super handy. What any new user needs to do to get the most out of the tool is to go to this site and read. For example, you need a mortise rail fixture to mortise rails. You need a box fixture to cut small parts. You need a sugar tong fixture to cut sliding DT's on a lathe turning. All of these fixtures can be made in a day. Also, youtube is full of short videos on the Woodrat.

Every joint on this table was made on a Woodrat, with the approiate fixtures. (called work holders on the British site). If you need help, I may be able to assist. Joe

Shaker_Sewing_Table_1_.JPG

joec

joe
User
As I did not buy this tool and got it from a friend that got it from a friend, I think I am missing part of the fence that goes along with the cam lever. In looking at some of the photos from the wedsite, it appears the cam has a left side fence that I do not have. That would explain the twisting of the board as the cam applied pressure. Thanks for the tip. I will continue to explore the Woodrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS