Anybody tried this place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepoolplayer

New User
Nate
Hey Martin,

I bought some lumber from them. They were super nice folks, but I wasn't too happy. I bought a bunch of 8/4 pignut hickory. The person suggested that it was air dried and wouldn't warp too much. I brought it home and within a few days it cupped,warped and checked drastically. I didn't end up using it. If I recall correctly most of the wood he has is green and he doesn't kiln dry it. This may have changed since January.

In fairness, this was the first time I've ever purchased lumber from anywhere aside from the BORG's. A more discerning woodworker may not have the same problems I had.

In contrast, several few weeks back I bought about 50bf of air dried walnut from saw4you in Rolesvilles. I milled it nearly a month ago and it hasn't moved at all. You can see some photos here:
http://www.natequercia.com/IMAG0060.jpg
http://www.natequercia.com/IMAG0061.jpg

You may be able to save a few buck by going with these guys. However, IMHO, I think you'd be better suited to go with some of the folks from NCwoodworkers (saw4you, scsmith42, etc).

Hope this helps.

-Nate

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Thanks, Nate. In the past I've gone to The Hardwood Store, but I saw this place on CL and it's only 5 miles down the road from me and I like to buy locally when I can. I've never been there, but I might have to get out to Rolesville next week. I have to make some drawers.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I second the comment on jack, CL listings in rolesville. He has a web site sawforyou.com. I have purchased 8/4 and 5/4 maple from jack and it was very good quality. He has better prices than the "retail" establishments and good quality. I purchased about 100 bf and all of the lumber was useable, dry and very stable.

I too search for a bargin but I have learned from cheap wood, it takes a lot more work to prep poor quality material and I really do not enjoy the repetition of surfacing lumber in which 20-30% contains knots and major imperfections that leads to significant waste. I think some of the lumber I have purchased at low cost is more expensive than if I paid retail in the first place after I include my time and the waste.

victoon

New User
Victor
Hey Martin,
You may be able to save a few buck by going with these guys. However, IMHO, I think you'd be better suited to go with some of the folks from NCwoodworkers (saw4you, scsmith42, etc).

-Nate

Can't agree more. Jack (wide selection of local species) and Scott (specializes in QS oak) are both great guys. you can't go wrong buying from them. :icon_thum

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
There is an excellent resource at the top of the page you are looking at now in the brown horizontal bar. Click where it says "Woodworking in NC" for a suppliers list by zone.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have bought some Maple and large Oak Beams from Joleen and company. As mentioned, very nice folks. They only cut lumber that is already fallen to be environmentally conscious. Their prices are very reasonable, but the wood was a tad wet and required some drying time. I got a few interesting pieces from them and they threw in some punky marbled pieces for free. Good folks and a bargain if you can take the time to dry the wood yourself or find a particular good batch from them.

I usually end up going back to Jack in Rolesville for most of my rough cut lumber though. His wood is either Kiln dried or Air dried to a much more consistent % and also very reasonably priced. Or if I need good quality Oak, I'll use Scott. Both of these guys will treat you right and have excellent product.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS