Any Workshop Designs, plans, ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey everyone w/ great looking work/woodshops!:icon_thum I'm looking for some plans or ideas on how to turn my two car garage into a nice, workable woodshop area? And anything you'd do differnet in your woodshop?
Any ideas? :dontknow:
I also have to run 220v around the shop.
I figured I'd come ask the real experts, that have been there done that before I screw it all up!

Thanks for you're help everyone:icon_chee you guys are the best.

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Just a small change.............make it twice as big....lol You are welcome to stop by and take a peek at mine if ya need to

rywilson

New User
Ryan
Matthew I'm in the same position. Let me know what you end up doing.
While I have a 2 car garage I need everything mobile so that the wife can get her car in when the weather turns.

I know there are a ton of photos out here but is there a section on the site dedicates to pics of garage-shops?

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree with Dirk and Ryan, a two car garage fills up quite rapidly so plan very carefully. Having everything possible on wheels is definitely the way to go as I have discovered. I constructed a seperate closet to segeregate the noise from compressor and DC from the rest of the shop and today I will be placing wheels on a large bookcase in that room for mobility when servicing compressor. Careful shopping can get you suitable locking casters for $5 to $6 each.:wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am also using 1/2 a 2 car garage. I am FAR from an expert but from my experience:

- Keep as many tools on wheels as you can

- Normal garages do not have 220V or even enough 110V outlets.

- Don't put to many outlets on a circuit

- My table saw is not on wheels and has a fixed out feed table. Makes a
great work space.

- Put in more lights in then less.

- Use the high wall spaces for storage.

- NEXT HOUSE MUST HAVE A DEDICATED SHOP.

Nativespec

New User
David
My shop is also a garage. I have a router table on my tablesaw with a mobile base which helps quite a bit since it is the central tool that has the greatest access.

David

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think Scott has some terrific suggestions in his post here... especially the one about putting things on wheels. If LOYL uses any part of the garage-shaped workshop, I'd make some large cabinets for her. Shelves won't do because of the sawdust. Don't forget storage for yourself too... screws, nails, glue, stains and finishes, etc.

Unless you're sure about what you want, you might build one part or area at a time. Learn what works as you go rather than fill a place up and then realize you need something different.

Ray

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A friend of mine is having his garage door replaced. The newer ones have insulation, which is really useful in keeping out the cold and heat. So, on the off chance your door needs replacement soon, that's something consider, as are windows in the garage door (more light!). If you're keeping your door, I've heard of people putting foam panels on the inside.

I'd also consider putting in some kind of finished floor, e.g. OSB sheets, rubber/ polyvinyl tiles etc. Concrete can be hard on your feet, and is hard to clean.

Bust out the ceiling and merge it with the bonus room above so you can have a really tall lumber rack :).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mobile bases, Mobile bases, Mobile bases. I have a 32' x 40' shop and I still use mobile bases on anything that I can. No matter how big your shop is, you always seem to find a way to fill it. Other than that, I would recommend a few thins before you fill your shop up :

- If you can, insulate the walls ceiling and doors, this makes it much easier to heat and cool, and is very economical.

- Run as many outlets and cicrcuits as you can, in the end you're still going to need a few where there aren't any.

- Set up good general lighting, also get task lighting. Small magnetic base lights work well for this, they attach easily to machines and you can screw electric box covers to the walls in key locations and they work well for a place to attach the magnetic base lamps. This way you only need a couple of lights.

- From here the fun begins !

Best of luck,
Jimmy:)

ps. Last and Definitely NOT least, make sure you have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, safety glasses, hearing protection, pushsticks, and any other safety items that you can find, easily available

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Set a seperate electrical panel with its own main breaker. If your house is not really old you will probably have spare breaker space in your main panel. If you are lucky your main panel is in your garage and this makes it really easy. Run your wire in EMT conduit. You will be gald you did. If you know you are not going to be running multiple machines at the same time off a circuit you can save a few breakers and wiring by having extra outlets on the circuit. Add one more 220 volt circuit than you need. Something will come up later and you will need it.

I had a retired Duke Power guy do mine and I was surprised at the low cost. He gave me a list of material to buy and he did the work.

I have an out feed table on my table saw that folds down out of the way. I find this to be a great help.

My TS is on a mobile base because of needs from a former shop. I find I do not need the moble base on the TS. I do not need to move it to park a car which might not be your situation. I find that having the compound miter saw, the BS and drill press on a moble base is a real help. I do not have my jointer on a mobile base but wish I did.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Already a lot of good advice on this thread, but I'll add a few things from my own experience too...

Add lights that will work in cold weather (heavy duty electronic ballast flourescents work well). Make sure they are on a separate circuit than any tools, last thing you want is to be in the dark when you blow a fuse with one of your machines :eusa_doh:

If your garage isn't finished with drywall, run all the wiring first and then use wood sheathing on the walls rather than drywall. This will make it much easier to hang stuff in the future.

The electrical work is very easy to do up front but not so easy later on, so try to get that right before anything else.

Mobile tools are great, but also try to utilize all the storage space you can. For example, under the tablesaw wings, inside the router table, under the bench tops, shelves high up on the walls for stuff not used often, lower shelves too, wall cabinets, and plan for lumber storage if you can!

Flooring: I epoxied my garage floor and it looks great, but it is still tough to stand on for a few hours when I'm working out there. If you can, put in a floor with more give than concrete. If not, get lots of rubber mats :wwink:

Start prepping the LOYL to get used to parking the car outside too :gar-Bi It won't be long before you realize that there just aint' a way to have all the stuff you want in the garage and park a car there as well :nah:

No matter how much planning you do, it will never be how you want it the first time around. Don't be discouraged by that, just count on reorganizing every few years. It's much more efficient to get stuff set up first than it is to agonize over the planning and do nothing because you don't have it quite figured out perfectly yet :dontknow: DAMHIK :wconfused:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Mobile bases, Mobile bases, Mobile bases. I have a 32' x 40' shop and I still use mobile bases on anything that I can. No matter how big your shop is, you always seem to find a way to fill it. Other than that, I would recommend a few thins before you fill your shop up :

- If you can, insulate the walls ceiling and doors, this makes it much easier to heat and cool, and is very economical.

- Run as many outlets and cicrcuits as you can, in the end you're still going to need a few where there aren't any.

- Set up good general lighting, also get task lighting. Small magnetic base lights work well for this, they attach easily to machines and you can screw electric box covers to the walls in key locations and they work well for a place to attach the magnetic base lamps. This way you only need a couple of lights.

- From here the fun begins !

Best of luck,
Jimmy:)

ps. Last and Definitely NOT least, make sure you have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, safety glasses, hearing protection, pushsticks, and any other safety items that you can find, easily available

Ditto on everything Jimmy said. My only additional suggestion is to paint the floor grey and paint the walls white.

JOAT

New User
Theo
I'd say drawers, lots of drawers. I've got a small shop, and was in a hurry, so just put sheves on 2 sides. Wish I'd put in drawers too, 3-6" would have been plenty deep enough. Started using .50 ammo cans, and they work, but think I'll put in some drawers. And keep stuff off of the floor, makes sweeping up a lot easier. Oh yeah, paint it, walls, ceiling, floor, everything but the window panes. My preference is the glossiest white you can find. At least two coats, preferably three. Latex, roll it on, just use a brush for trim work. It'll seem like being in an icecube until you start putting tools in, hanging stuff on the walls, and sawdust gets everywhere, it'll dim down. I used semi-gloss, but now wish I'd used gloss, and painted the floor. And put up carport for your wife's car. Oh yeah, racks for wood storage.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Drat. Almost forgot. One of the most important things. A comfortable folding chair. Use it to sit and think when you're stumped, or just want to relax. You can even hang it on the wall if need bt, to get it out of the way. And, an el cheapo radio, volume not real high. I've got bad knees, so I've got my router table and scrollsaw at a height where I can sit and use them. I also often sit when feeding stock thru my planer. Hmmm, sonder if I should modify my lathe stand so I can use the lathe sitting down too. LMAO But, it is a thought to consider. As is, I've got a top that fits over the lathe bed, to make another work space; right now I've got my miter saw on it.

For what it's worth, any time I use my planer, lathe, or saw, I have to move them. They're all on shopmade stands. The only one with wheels is the lathe stand, and it's such a PITA to use the wheels I don't bother. I just walk them into place. Works for me.

Glennbear

Glenn
Lots of great suggestions here, my shop is a newly constructed 2 car sized garage and I am just starting to place machines etc. so I do not have any pics that would be of great value. I would suggest this book as it was extremely helpful back when I was in the planning stages and I still refer to it from time to time. Taunton press has a whole line of books on woodworking subjects and I have found them to be pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Shop-...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205070454&sr=1-1 :wwink:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one of the HF motorcycle/ATV jacks I plan to use moving around my tools. The legs will get a crossbar at the proper height & I'll just have to worry about 1 set of wheels. At $70 it replaces all the casters I should need. Get some old Masonite flush interior doors & make or buy folding sawbucks for added work tables. I like the folding kind that has adjustable legs but you may want to reinforce the holdout tabs. They have a tendency to get loose & start to rack around with 3-400# of lumber on them. High storage is in my plans as well. Keep it simple. Keep it flexible. Good luck. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
Some shop pictures (WIP):

Like Bas mentioned, I insulated the door with styrofoam panels backed with reflective foam panels to keep winter heat in and summer heat out.

HPIM0419.JPG

Here is the start of the framing for DC / Air Compressor closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS