Any interest in Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

Just had a Female Gleditsia triacanthos inermis or Thorn-less Common Honey Locust tree cut down today. The main trunk is almost 6 feet tall and approximately 15" across and I put anchor seal on both ends already.

Just wondering if anyone has any interest in it? Hobbithouseinc says it is a Very Hard Durable wood so I wasn't sure if it is good for bowl blanks, mallets, or just lumber?

Let me know & I'll get to cutting it up next week.

Sincerely,

Matthew

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Will do Mike.

I was wrong about the size, its 20" across. Gonna make some 16" bowl blanks & mallet blanks.

Thanks.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
As Mike implies, locust is a nice wood for turning. Nice color, good figure and takes a good finish. The few pieces I have had all turned out well, so you are a lucky guy to have so much.

Roy G

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I turned a couple of pieces into pens a while back. Some of the best pens I have ever made. Wood really had some figure in it.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Roy & Thanh,

I cut the log up this morning. One 17" along the trunk and cut in half so it's close to 17" x 20" & I'll make the usual huge bowl blank of 16" square, a mallet that is hopefully 4" by 17" and any pen blanks I can. The other is slightly longer than 17" as this is where it branched into three main branches and I cut that into three's. So it will probably be mallets, or vase shaped blanks with some pen blanks.

The last section is 36" long by 20" across and If it's possible I will wait for it to lose a little of it's water weight, then cut in half and resaw it into boards.

The figure is nice and has a slight salmon color in-between the darker streaks.

I guess I need a picture now to prove it~! :gar-Bi

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That should make some very nice looking and functional mallets. Good looking very hard wood. Can't ask for much more.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Goodness I just saw Cook Woods Weekly Special.... And it's on Honey Locust. Prices are outrageous, so now I am wishing I would have kept some of the upper trunk just past where it split in three. Check out there site.

Ken,

I'll be making some mallet blanks...I have one mallet that I have turned out of Russian Olive Burl, but I have never used it...Even though it is in my camping box and plan to use it to help split wood with.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS