any idea what type of wood this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwcannon

New User
chad
Pic is profile pic also if attachment didnt show up. Also any recommendations on someone in charlotte-hickory area that would do rustic furniture
Thanks in advance for your help. 0416161610.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like wormy maple to me - also known as Ambrosia Maple. The pattern is made by Ambrosia Beetles.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looks like silver maple or is could be a small red maple that hasn't had enough time on the stump to develop any heart wood. But in any event it's soft maple. The streaks you see are from the ambrosia beetle they bore into the wood, making a tiny little hole (usually in pairs) eat a little, lay eggs and crap (which is what stains the wood) and then they exit the tree. So what you have there is ambrosia (soft) maple. Which is very common in NC, since you all have lots of bugs...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like to use Ambrosia for door fronts on shop cabinets. You can make a nice grain match across the entire cabinet with a little work.

Like this:

DSC_0547_800x532_1.jpg

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
It looks like maple at first glance but I have found several gum stumps with this spalting. If its gum I usually let it dry and toss it in the fire box. I don't do gum. Did you look at the leaves around the tree?

Best of luck

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
It looks like maple at first glance but I have found several gum stumps with this spalting. If its gum I usually let it dry and toss it in the fire box. I don't do gum. Did you look at the leaves around the tree?

Best of luck

Dan, you might want to reconsider... I have some gorgeous quartersawn sweet gum that is currently in the drying barn. Flat as a drum and pretty too.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Scott I don't need much of a nudge to come and see you again. Are there days of the week that are better to come by?

Dan

Last edited:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
It could also be flame box elder. Very similar to ambrosia red maple. Maple tends to be more brown stained, box elder more red. Do not let a turner touch it, you won't have it anymore!

Windy

New User
Windy
ambrosia maple for sure, I pulled some out of a guys truck who was selling it as firewood and made a few plant stands

plant-stand1.jpgplant-stand2.jpg

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Box elder, acer negundo, is a maple according to its Latin name. After the wood is cut you can tell which it is by the color of the stain. Red for box elder, brown for red maple acer rubrum. Box is in its name because the white wood is similar to boxwood. Box elder has a compound leaf, the only compound maple in the US. Whatever you want to call it, it is BEAUTIFUL! If you want to identify an unknown wood show us the leaves, bark, and cones or seeds also. I would rather turn ambrosia red maple than any other wood. Never had much box elder, boo. Everyone following this thread should Google "box elder", learn something today! Carolina Mountain Woodturners sends out "box elder alerts" whenever some becomes available around Asheville, it is always gone that day!

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Thanks, Jeff, beautiful pics. The hardest task is to keep the"red" still red. Very sensitive to light and fading or browning. Many woodworkers accent the red with a little paint. The only live box elder that I have ever seen is on government land and could not be harvested.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I built a guitar out of box elder it's pretty soft and very light cream colored. Box elder is a member of the maple family and is the softest of all maples. Another thing to note it burns easily - slow the router speed way down.

The red streaking in box elder is created by the box elder beetle. I'm sure you squished these before and got red juice all over your shoe -:lol
uploadfromtaptalk1461945655905.jpg

However the ambrosia streaking in other maples is caused by the tiny ambrosia beetle.
uploadfromtaptalk1461945788676.jpg

Rarely will the box elder beetle attack any other maple species than box elder. But the ambrosia beetle doesn't care what species it will attack I've even seen ambrosia oak and walnut before.

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here are pics of the box elder / walnut guitar I built. Good contrast but box elder is not very interesting. Hindsight - I should have made walnut the primary and box elder the secondary woods.
uploadfromtaptalk1461946951696.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461946962202.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461946972157.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461946981140.jpg

woodturner2014

New User
Harry
Windy, how do you keep the slices from splitting/checking? I have a piece I was going to turn as a platter but would consider making tabletop if It would hold together.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS