Any good reason not to drill utility holes in joist blocking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I can't think of any.

This is in my house built beam on (lots of) piers. The floor is stick-framed (vs I-joist or truss) with solid blocking between the joists where the joists sit on the main beam.

I intend to drill holes through the blocking to pass new electrical and/or plumbing runs. Can't think of a reason not to, except the builder snaked the utilities UNDER the main beam for some reason. I'm trying to imagine why all the trades thought that was a good idea - other than it saved the labor of drilling some holes.

Why would I bother ? Less chance of bumping into the lines when I'm crawling around under there and makes for a neater job.

-Mark

Glennbear

Glenn
Methinks he went under to save labor and make for easier runs. Check the NEC, I think that if you stay in the center 1/3 of frame members it is permissible. :wsmile:

jdulaney

New User
John
Drilling holes through solid horizontal beams is a no-no, which is why everyone snaked under the load bearing beam you mention.

It leads to problems related to your floor collapsing.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Drilling holes through solid horizontal beams is a no-no, which is why everyone snaked under the load bearing beam you mention.

It leads to problems related to your floor collapsing.

...but it is fine to drill through the blocking.

bobby g

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
The blocking is only meant to keep the joists from racking (i.e. tipping over). Drilling holes for Romex / supply plumbing in the blocking is not a problem.

C.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm old enough to remember 1 X 4 diagonal bridging instead of blocking. Older section (1980) of my house has such. You can drill, with limitations, through joists and blocking, but not support BEAMS.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I'm old enough to remember 1 X 4 diagonal bridging instead of blocking. Older section (1980) of my house has such. You can drill, with limitations, through joists and blocking, but not support BEAMS.

Me too! When I was a kid, me, my brother and cousins had the job of pounding in the 6 penny nails in the bridging on the house my grandfather was building. We were rewarded with an evening trip to the ice cream parlor, cone size determined by the number of nails driven. Those were the days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS