any bench grinder advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
any bench grinder advice...

the one I had just a cheap off brand 6" that served a very useful life until ended up being left on not spinning anymore and almost burned the shop down that was a year ago and I am tired of not having one..

been looking at the dewalt 6" and 8" and the delta variable speed ones on amazon
and looked at the porter cable ones at lowes that are also variable speed... the one at lowes seems like the best deal but learned that is just a porter cable branded product for lowes..

I could just buy a cheapo and use it for a while but was looking to upgrade a bit and maybe be able to sharpen chisels on the new one if I need too...

I am normally good reading reviews but the grinder reviews have not be helpful and the wood magazine they I have reviewing grinders was a article that lacked more then it delivered

anyway just wondered if anyone here had any thoughts... yea baldor is nice but out of my price range :dontknow:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since much of your tool sharpening is will be done at slow speeds I would recommend a slow speed or variable speed grinder. I have the 8" Delta VS and really like it.

Since much of your tool sharpening is will be done at slow speeds I would recommend a slow speed or variable speed grinder. I have the 8" Delta VS and really like it.

do you like the tool rests on your delta... and is yours smooth people were complaining about vibration but that could just be user error

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have replaced my rests with a Wolverine jig attachment. I highly recommend it especially if you plan to sharpen turning tools . As to vibration that can be caused by loose wheels or wheel out of balance. The wheels they are shipped with are not the best.

As to vibration that can be caused by loose wheels or wheel out of balance. The wheels they are shipped with are not the best.

if figure that is what is leading to the bad reviews from people on the models I am looking at ... so people get good and balances cheap wheels and other people get normal out of balance cheap wheel...

since I have not read reviews of arbor shafts not being straight or anything and I guess that could happen on shipping also on a few of them

thanks for your help I will look at the other you mentioned

gator

George
Corporate Member
It depends on what you want to use it for. I have an old 'el cheapo' for things like lawnmower blades and rough shaping. When I got my lathe I bought the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and it has served me well for 6-7 years or so that I've had it. The 'el-cheapo' for rough shaping and the slow speed for sharpening hand tools. I don't think you can use one for both applications.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS