Antique restoration request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I have a friend who is looking for a recommendation for doing an antique restorations on a tool box. Here are the specifics I received:

My father started out as a "tool and die maker". He - along with his class in 1956 - purchased tool boxes. The dimensions are about 20 high, 8 wide, 10 deep. All the others bought oak. His is walnut. There are many drawers (again, 100% walnut) and many nooks within the box. All the corners of the box have metal protectors screwed to them - all original. I first have to carefully remove all the tools. It weighs nearly 85 lbs full. Don't know about empty wight.

Anyone have a suggestion on who I could point them to for some help?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would see if the orignal Co. is still in business and check with them. Spendy, but it is his Dad's tool box.

Does it need major repairs or just refinishing.

If it is a Gertsner box I would guess that parts will be available.

Photos would help in advising your friend.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I was able to get some more information, he is going to take some pictures as well. He says that the box is in good shape and does not require any repair. He's just looking for the finish to be redone. He thinks it's a Gerstner and says it looks like the tool box pictured here:
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/GERSTNER-TOOL-BOX-WALNUT-Model-W52_230698582272.html

He did contact Gerstner but he said they wanted like $1500 which is more than the cost of a new one.

rbradford

New User
Richard
If it's a Gerstner, you can get some parts. See http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CARTgallery1.htm for more info. But for some parts they require evidence that it is, in fact, one of their boxes. It should have a metal badge riveted on the case. I've worked on two of these and the time may not be worth the monetary end value, but that's normal - at least for me.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Penders is a company in Raleigh that does excellent antique restoration and refinishing. They are in North Raleigh 919-876-5735

I own that same box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors