Another Woodwright's School update.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wow. Let me say it again, wow. I'd even go as far as wowzer.

First off, what a down to earth fellow St Roy is. I was nervous. He is a television celebrity and St. after all. He couldn't have been more approachable and friendly.

It might sound cliche, but he was in person pretty much what you see on this show.

Second, he ran the class with the tip of his cuss'n finger nearly sliced off. He did explain how the Saturday class got a first hand lesson in how not to use a chisel.

Odds were pretty good he was off to get stitches. We all got to see what was under the guaze, not good.

Anyhow, the class. He was a fun mix of lore, history, fact, gossip and hands on technique. Most of us were there about 8:30, and most stayed till 6:30. The time flew.

His teaching style was first to talk about the joints, then demonstrate cutting one. Then off to our benches, where he roamed around giving pointers and answering questions.

We did through dovetail, half blind and a draw bored mortise and tenon.

Lots of fun side events. News paper reporters, off the street visitors, fantastic muffins. After lunch we pulled out 5 massive timbers and he showed us the basiscs of a timber frame on the sidewalk.

Personally, I had 3 break throughs. And I don't mean by poor drilling :)

He has some really excting plans for the school.

One of my favorite comments he made was "I have to go buy more tools". For the school.

Met some fellow NCWW's and new folks. It was just a fantastic day.

Jim

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
St.Roy sounds like a good person and instructor.At least you know that he is a hands on instructor who also needs bandaids like everyone else.Tony

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Roy is always getting nicks on TV. I was in the class where he cut himself - I think this one was a bit worse than typical but he didn't skip a beat. He showed us what he did to cut himself like that and continued on with the rest of the class.

It was great fun and a great class. I intend on using the techniques he taught in some projects soon. I highly recommend the experience.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
This was an ubernick. Best as I could tell, it almost took off the whole tip.

But, not to feel left out, he also cut his pointer finger too. It was a bandaid fix, but he bled on the chisel I was using. They took it back and sterilized it.

From the reaction of his helper, she's done that before :)

His is our class pic.

woodwrightsschool_class_pic.JPG

Jim

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
I was in the class along with FrogLips. I have to echo what he said. Roy was fantastic. His teaching style and personality made it a fun, instructive day.

Just to continue working with the injury that he had is a testament to his professionalism and commitment to this school. I recommend that everyone take a class, just for the great experience, and to help make the school a success.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Is this a bring-you-own-tools kind of class, or are they supplied? Don't have many, or any sharp, hand tools.

Where can I find more info? I am by no means a neander, but I think I would love the experience if I can afford it.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
What, am I the Rodney Dangerfield of woodworking?

St. Roy told us to each hold a tool. I went with the square, as I like the irony of it.

Jim

I was going to ask.. why is the strange guy with the red shirt and beard holding a tool?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I don't recall watching an episode of TWWS that ole Roy didn't have a band aid on a finger. He must be rather prone to this type of self mutilation.:gar-La;
Glad you all had a good time and learnt something. Now lets see some of those joints put to use.

Mike

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
The school provided everything, including coffee and muffins.

The tools were plenty sharp, he even has a microscope step to see the edges.

Last I heard, its still just an email list you can ask to be part of. He's still getting up and running, so no web site I know of yet.

I know its a weird link, but it does work and has info on signing up.

http://campaign.constantcontact.com..._eOPHa_8Gq0TtURR0F2oJSjoTcekjF3-_u0frqf1Z3w==

Jim

Is this a bring-you-own-tools kind of class, or are they supplied? Don't have many, or any sharp, hand tools.

Where can I find more info? I am by no means a neander, but I think I would love the experience if I can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors