Another source for wood in The Charlotte area

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
Evening all,
In my search for a source for smaller pieces for small projects, I ran across a company called Advantage lumber.
They are located in Grover NC.

I dropped a line after spending about an hour on their website.
I got a reply back from them today where I was inquiring about smaller quantities of project wood.

I was informed that Yes they will sell small quantities and have some in stock. I was invited to visit the store (which i found out is only about 3 miles from my house) so I will be visiting soon, hopefully this week.

Will report my findings if anyone is interested. Their website is very well laid out and the selection is vast.

I will not post the link to their website here, but a google search will lead you there.

I hope sharing this information will help others like me. It is a 50 mile drive to woodcraft (either one), so my visits there are few and far between.

Wishing all a great evening!
M

JohnW

New User
John
I've bought from them several times with good success. They sell decking materials and have a huge selection of Ipe, Cumaru tigerwood and other decking lumber. But they also make flooring and have loads of hardwoods in their warehouse for that and will sell out of that stock. They do a good business making butcher block tops & counters which are reasonably priced. Most are maple but you can pick out the wood you want for you counter. I saw a contractor picking up a bunch of maple/cherry/walnut butcher block counters a few years ago and they looked awesome.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
UPDATE!
Well today I visited the store, and I must say from the time I walked in, I was impressed. I bought some Maple, Some walnut, Sapele, heart, and a monkeypod turning blank, along with a "bishopwood" turning blank and an oak turning blank of some type ( cant remember).

The Place was well stocked with about anything you would want.
I bought all shorts and cut-offs since my projects are small.
The guy that helped me is a woodworker too so he knew what I was looking for and was very helpful. The shorts and cut-offs were discounted by 20% so I didnt mind a bit of extra work truing it up.

Definitely works for me.....
I would absolutely recommend!!!!!!
Great first experience.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update. I had the day off today, so based on your recommendation I trekked down from Charlotte to have a look. Took about an hour to drive (I'm on the east side of Charlotte). Well worth the drive! I was looking for some bowl blanks for a last minute xmas present. They have a few pallets of turning blanks of all different sizes. They have more variety listed on their website, but the rep said he could order anything on the site if I needed it. I also looked at the shorts and cutoffs. The Sales Rep said they don't mind selling boards if you take off the top of a pallet, but they'll also cut a deal if you buy the whole pallet.

I ended up with a 4x4x6 Pecan bowl blank, a 4x4x6 Silk Oak bowl blank, 3x3x12 Flamewood blank, 3x3x12 Pecan blank, and 18 bdft of 8/4 Sapele from the shorts & cutoffs. Prices for the blanks were very reasonable (I would expect to pay 2-3 times more for the same at Woodcraft). The Sapele ended up being $2/bdft. Definitely a bargain. The rep also threw in a 3x3x12 blank of Melaleuca for free. He said they were giving them out as samples just to see what people thought.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
When I was there they also gave me a 48" X 72" sanding belt. It had a little worn place on one side, but the rest hadn't been touched. about 75% of the belt is usable. I can use it for my disk sanders (120 grit). Looks like i'm set for some sandpaper for a while.

I got a silk oak blank while I was there and a monkey pod blank. For me, it is about a 5 min drive from my house, and like was said before the prices would be worth the drive if I had to drive 30 miles.

Merry Christmas all!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors