Another small conquest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been pondering how to handle this for several weeks, what will look best, what will work best, how to actually make it work. Today I just dove in.

I needed some special molding to hold up a shelf and didn't want to have any cross grain shrinkage issues. So, I cut the molding on end grain. Some of the cuts were a little tricky but it worked and no visits to ER this time!

IMG_2984.JPG

Then I thought about the strength issue, so I routed a recess and inset a 1/4 dowel. Didn't think that would be strong enough so I did another one.

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
No, this is fine kiln dried Sapele from Kyle. I have been working on another lab cabinet for an antique set of beam scales. These pieces will support the shelf for the scale to sit on.

I think Mr. Rogers still has a big stack of Cherry if you want some. I never saw any bugs but I did see some very wide planks.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
No, this is fine kiln dried Sapele from Kyle. I have been working on another lab cabinet for an antique set of beam scales. These pieces will support the shelf for the scale to sit on.

I think Mr. Rogers still has a big stack of Cherry if you want some. I never saw any bugs but I did see some very wide planks.

oh I want some but..... it aint in the budget right now.:no: if he still has some when i get the money right i definatly will get some.:icon_thum just dont know when that will be.:dontknow: i'll give ya a shout if things change.:icon_thum

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Nice work, Mike. I think you had some good ideas, esp. considering the weakness of end grain wood. I don't see why what you did shouldn't work. Is this what would be called "pre-engineered" molding?
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS