Another shop milestone reached UPDATED WITH PHOTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I fired up the generator for the new shop this past weekend. Whew, that one had me worried! Even though it only had 307 hours on it, it had sat out in the open at either my farm or the Generator Service Company for over 2 years after it was removed from it's original installation, and it's been stored in my shop for another year.

Some gremlins cropped up that had to be isolated and addressed. Namely a frozen alternator (corrosion between the rotor and stator - that cost me a couple of fan belts :thumbs_do), and a myriad of electrical gremlins in the 24VDC operating system (primarily corrosion related - no surprise since the generator came from Myrtle Beach). The new radiator that I assembled works fine, and no oil or antifreeze leaks have been observed. I had to replace a burned out resistor on the alarm board (many thanks to Don Patterson who advised me of an acceptable replacement and then located one for me).

And does it pull some air... even with three windows open it will jerk the shop door right out of your hand if you open it while running. I need to build a large roof portal in the generator room for fresh air for it.

I still have a couple of electical issues; probably related to a bad sender on the oil pressure switch (I plumbed in an additional mechanical guage just to be sure that I had good pressure). If thats not it, I'll need to trace down the circuit that provides power to the governor, and that should be the last "gremlin". Also need to complete installing the rubber gasket between the radiator and the external wall, and build a door to cover up the opening when it's not running, and also to put some sound deadening board on the interior surfaces of the door to the generator room.

The Cummins "Big Cam 400" starts right up, purrs like a kitten, with no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Two hundred and twenty five thousand watts of power and 480 volts! Yee haw! :icon_cheers

Thanks to some help from North Carolina Woodworker member Doug Wilberg, I also got the big dust collection system blower set in place a couple of weeks ago. I need to fabricate a mount for the electric motor; I can't wait to spin that thing up once the generator is completed.

NCTurner and Doug came out a couple of weekends back and helped me to layout the dust collection system in the back pasture. Now I need to start cutting and welding on the parts to get them to fit together. Fortunately it looks like I have just about everything that I need for the ducting on it though.

Here is a photo of the generator. I could not fit the entire thing into the camera lens... To put things into perspective, it is 6' from the floor to the top of the radiator (on the left side of the photo).

Kohler_generator.jpg

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Another shop milestone reached

Scott, the breadth and depth of your technical abilities never cease to amaze me. 225,000W? That's a LOT of power. Even at 480V, that's a lot of amps, whatever wiring you're using must resemble PVC pipe!
BTW, the folks at Jordan Lake wanted to know if you could fire up your DC this weekend, apparently the weather is nice enough for sailing but there won't be a lot of wind....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Scott, the breadth and depth of your technical abilities never cease to amaze me. 225,000W? That's a LOT of power. Even at 480V, that's a lot of amps, whatever wiring you're using must resemble PVC pipe!
BTW, the folks at Jordan Lake wanted to know if you could fire up your DC this weekend, apparently the weather is nice enough for sailing but there won't be a lot of wind....

Thanks Bas. One of the reasons that I wanted to use 480V equipment was to be able to save on my wiring costs, since when you double the voltage you are halving the amps, and thus can significantly reduce the wiring size.

If I had left the generator wired for 240VAC 3-phase, I would have had to install parallel runs per leg of 600MCM wiring from it to the main panel board - these wires are over an inch in diameter apiece! By restacking the generator to 480V, I was able to reduce that to two runs of 4/0 per leg, a much more manageable (and cost effective) solution.

Additionally, there is over 1000 ft of wiring from the panel boards to the various pieces of 3 phase equipment, and that's where the savings in wiring cost really helped out.

Re having a lot of wind at Jordan Lake this weekend, perhaps they could have some of those politicians from Washington DC stop by... that ought to solve their problem :gar-La;

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Amazing and fantastical!

Folks on the Geodesic Shop Crawl are really going to enjoy seeing this!!

Jim

eyekode

New User
Salem

Don't get too close to the air intake :).

Google says your 225,000w is ~300HP. Wow.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Good on ya, Brother! I've gotta get down and see that thing in operation. You da man! Are you running it on bio diesel?

AND, you're right. Save your fuel! There's enough hot air blowing south from DC to keep 'em sailing for months on end! LOL!
:rotflm:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

In the spirit of Tim Allen, Aaarggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have got to come out to your place and check out your toys again!

I fired up the generator for the new shop this past weekend. Whew, that one had me worried! Even though it only had 307 hours on it, it had sat out in the open at either my farm or the Generator Service Company for over 2 years after it was removed from it's original installation, and it's been stored in my shop for another year.

Some gremlins cropped up that had to be isolated and addressed. Namely a frozen alternator (corrosion between the rotor and stator - that cost me a couple of fan belts :thumbs_do), and a myriad of electrical gremlins in the 24VDC operating system (primarily corrosion related - no surprise since the generator came from Myrtle Beach). The new radiator that I assembled works fine, and no oil or antifreeze leaks have been observed. I had to replace a burned out resistor on the alarm board (many thanks to Don Patterson who advised me of an acceptable replacement and then located one for me).

And does it pull some air... even with three windows open it will jerk the shop door right out of your hand if you open it while running. I need to build a large roof portal in the generator room for fresh air for it.

I still have a couple of electical issues; probably related to a bad sender on the oil pressure switch (I plumbed in an additional mechanical guage just to be sure that I had good pressure). If thats not it, I'll need to trace down the circuit that provides power to the governor, and that should be the last "gremlin". Also need to complete installing the rubber gasket between the radiator and the external wall, and build a door to cover up the opening when it's not running, and also to put some sound deadening board on the interior surfaces of the door to the generator room.

The Cummins "Big Cam 400" starts right up, purrs like a kitten, with no visible smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Two hundred and twenty five thousand watts of power and 480 volts! Yee haw! :icon_cheers

Thanks to some help from North Carolina Woodworker member Doug Wilberg, I also got the big dust collection system blower set in place a couple of weeks ago. I need to fabricate a mount for the electric motor; I can't wait to spin that thing up once the generator is completed.

NCTurner and Doug came out a couple of weekends back and helped me to layout the dust collection system in the back pasture. Now I need to start cutting and welding on the parts to get them to fit together. Fortunately it looks like I have just about everything that I need for the ducting on it though.

My camera died a couple of weeks ago, so no pix yet, but soon...

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Congrats, Scott. Sounds like one industrial strength electric. I think you need to post some [STRIKE]shop[/STRIKE] factory photos. :gar-Bi

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Thanks Bas. One of the reasons that I wanted to use 480V equipment was to be able to save on my wiring costs, since when you double the voltage you are halving the amps, and thus can significantly reduce the wiring size.

If I had left the generator wired for 240VAC 3-phase, I would have had to install parallel runs per leg of 600MCM wiring from it to the main panel board - these wires are over an inch in diameter apiece! By restacking the generator to 480V, I was able to reduce that to two runs of 4/0 per leg, a much more manageable (and cost effective) solution.

Additionally, there is over 1000 ft of wiring from the panel boards to the various pieces of 3 phase equipment, and that's where the savings in wiring cost really helped out.

Re having a lot of wind at Jordan Lake this weekend, perhaps they could have some of those politicians from Washington DC stop by... that ought to solve their problem :gar-La;

Volts = Pressure, Amps = Power! The more pressure the less wire it takes to get the power to the machine! You've got plenty of both!! :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Congrats on the power gloat. Next power failure we all head to Scott's. :icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

With that size gen, Scott can send the electricity to us!! What ya tryin' to do, start an NCWoodworker electric Co-op?:gar-Bi

Kudos to you sir and it looks like you are really putting together a great complex. I know where I'm headed when the SHTF. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

IIRC, those Cummings like about a 75% load to really run efficiently, so you may need to clean injectors a little more frequently if running less, or set up an alternate heavy load circuit to blow out the carbon occasionally. If you run into heat problems in the 100+ degree summer temps, a trick we learned in the desert is to have a water drip line over the fan, so it drives the mist created by it hitting the fan through the radiator. We could drop the oil temp by about 20 degrees doing this with just a camo net over it for sun shade, altho the humidity there was a lot lower. Just a thought, altho inside you probably won't run into any problems.

Go

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Congrats on getting the generator all fired up Scott! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Next power failure we all head to Scott's. :icon_thum

Definitely! I'll bring the television, dvd player, stereo, refrigerator, air conditioning, hot water heater, dishwasher, washer and dryer...... :gar-La;

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt

Scott,

Congrats, on your new improved power station!

But, I really didnt need to read this post, as all I had to do was watch the Weather reports on TV

and look outside to see all the windyness. :rotflm:

Next time call ahead to the weather channel so they can forecast to the public!:rolf:

Whew!

matt

M

McRabbet

[PIE]
Congratulations!

[/PIE]
Getting that generator up and running is fantastic after so much effort. You've got to be stoked! Once the DC is hooked up, I'm sure that nice resaw and your other big tools are not far behind!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Congrats on getting the generator all fired up Scott! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Definitely! I'll bring the television, dvd player, stereo, refrigerator, air conditioning, hot water heater, dishwasher, washer and dryer...... :gar-La;

Trent, what makes you think that I don't already have those items in my shop? :rotflm:

Well, maybe not the last three.... :gar-Bi

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member

Now you have a big toy to run your big toys. :icon_thum :icon_thum

Do you have wiring run to the house for when the power goes out, and your neighbors house, their neighbors house and so on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS