Another Sawyer for your consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening all,
The Mrs. and I took a ride out eastern NC way today, to Otto, NC., roughly 5 hr drive. Met up with a young man name of Shane McConnell and his cousin. I believe together they run the operation there, and a nice one at that.
He has an awful lot of different types of logs and wood species, eager to discuss my needs and what he could provide. I was hard pressed to resist the temptation to load much more than what I had set out for (Mrs. was with me... SMILE), but plan to make another trip in the not too distant future.
This trip was to pickup 150bdft of cypress that he had picked up for me. Seems like a long way to go for such a small amount, but the price was great, the day was beautiful and the company was awesome. We used to head to Robinsville regularly, about a 6 hr drive from Durham, when my mom lived out that way a number of years back. Beautiful country!!
Anyhow, thought It was well worth mentioning. Shane and his cousin did some time in Iraq as Military Policemen, and as our son is currently in Afghanistan, it made for a bit of discussion.
I cannot say what types of deals you may be able to work with him, but always noce to have another option.
Shane McConnell
834 Fred Vinson Rd
Otto, N.C. 28763
sawmillb20@verizon.net

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great to know!!. Thanks for the information. You should add him to our NC saywers list :icon_thum

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Evening all,
The Mrs. and I took a ride out eastern NC way today, to Otto, NC., roughly 5 hr drive. Met up with a young man name of Shane McConnell and his cousin. I believe together they run the operation there, and a nice one at that.
He has an awful lot of different types of logs and wood species, eager to discuss my needs and what he could provide. I was hard pressed to resist the temptation to load much more than what I had set out for (Mrs. was with me... SMILE), but plan to make another trip in the not too distant future.
This trip was to pickup 150bdft of cypress that he had picked up for me. Seems like a long way to go for such a small amount, but the price was great, the day was beautiful and the company was awesome. We used to head to Robinsville regularly, about a 6 hr drive from Durham, when my mom lived out that way a number of years back. Beautiful country!!
Anyhow, thought It was well worth mentioning. Shane and his cousin did some time in Iraq as Military Policemen, and as our son is currently in Afghanistan, it made for a bit of discussion.
I cannot say what types of deals you may be able to work with him, but always noce to have another option.
Shane McConnell
834 Fred Vinson Rd
Otto, N.C. 28763
sawmillb20@verizon.net

Couple of things I would like to say. With all the trees I see go to the land fill or pushed up in to a dozer pile and burned or are cut and left to rot away. I wished there was a sawmill in every sq mile of NC, then there might not be so much needless waste. It takes a tree a long time to grow big enough to get lumber out of and it really hurts me to see a perfectly good tree go to waste. My tag line kinda speaks my mind (Tree Cycle) it just makes sense. Please seek out and get to know your local saw mill operators, you'll find most of them really nice folks who care.

Thanks for telling folks about Shane :icon_thum

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'm gonna hijack this with a question. I have a tree that is bent and threatening if it falls. Is there anyplace to find out if it is worth using as lumber. A criteria list based on height, species, diameter and such. And also how much bend is acceptable if it starts several stories up?
thanks,
Todd

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A pic would help a lot. If it is of a common lumber species, over 12" dia., reasonably straight (the narrower the bole the more the straightness matters), and not growing in a stressed location or full of urban metal. Then it could be worth milling.

J

jeff...

A pic would help a lot. If it is of a common lumber species, over 12" dia., reasonably straight (the narrower the bole the more the straightness matters), and not growing in a stressed location or full of urban metal. Then it could be worth milling.

I like em crook - makes for a challenge and interesting figure. Just position the crook up and slice off short natural edge slabs - Dave, this Sunday, you and I are going to be joining two pieces that came off the crook of this sycamore. See second post with photos and you'll see what I mean.
That crook will become a coffee table top.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5913&highlight=sycamore

Thanks

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'll go and measure the base and take a picture. I'm pretty sure it's well over 12" in diameter, but I have never studied it with the thought of keeping the wood. I'll check it out later when I get home. Have to work for a bit this morning. Our neighbors had truly 2 monster sized oak trees taken out after a lightning strike. The inspector said they'd have to go in a few years because of the lightning running through them. Their stump diameters must have been well over 30". Wish I'd know enough to call somebody!

Todd

edit: Only 16" in diameter and pretty curved all along. oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS