Another Recommendation on a Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Well folks, I am sorry. Many of you offered some solid advice on what router I should get when I asked a couple of weeks ago. As I conducted my research, and I like to look at everything before committing to purchase, your recommendation on the Triton 3.25 HP router was superb. I also missed the great sale at Woodcraft for $199.

Now, the current price of $349 is a bit tough to swallow, although it might still be a good deal. I have decided to build my own table, again at your recommendation. It will be a small-ish table, about 18 x 24. I think that I would still like to include a plate, although I know the top can be hollowed to fit. I am looking hard at the Woodpeckers aluminum plate.

So, the decision is again for the router. I like the Triton 2.25HP at $259 at Amazon. The Bosch 2.25HP w/ the fixed base and adjuster at Woodcraft for $180 is tempting, although I would like to also come with the dust collection attachment. The Triton sure looks like a great machine.

So, and again I am sorry, but I ask for everyone's expert input on a router recommendation for a table mount, and anything on the best plate for the router of choice.

Thank-you, Guy

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Aren't you the guy that's stationed in Japan? Misawa, I think.
If so, have you talked with the base exchange about special ordering? I used that function some when I was in the USAF. You may find they have a connection on 1, 2 or more routers at a good price. Let us know if the BX still has that service.

richlife

New User
Rich
Hi, Guy. Sorry I missed on your first request, but I did now want to add my two bits. For my part, I would strongly urge you to invest in the 3 hp router. I have the Bosch 1617EVS and the Freud FT3000VCE 3-1/4-Horsepower Variable Speed Plunge Router . Amazon.com: Freud FT3000VCE 3-1/4-Horsepower Variable Speed Plunge Router: Home Improvement

If you are going to use the router in a table, get the power and get a router designed for table use. I chose the Freud over the Triton (after reading some concerns about the potential longevity of the Triton -- I have NO experience with it myself) and I would go to the Freud again today. You can read my review of the Freud at that link above.

As far as your table, mine is the size of what you plan, but I would suggest you also make it to accept extendable wings and a "foretable" (extendable to the front). I would also like a little more space to the rear on mine, but I have it permanently installed (until I do a complete rebuild) and have no option to go deeper.

The extendable wings could be really helpful if you do any larger pieces like furniture. Trying to balance/hold long or large pieces on an 18x24 surface is difficult and dicey. It's possible, but is not my favorite task. I've often been jealous of those who have built their router table into an extension on their table saw (see the old Wood Works shows with David Marks).

I fully agree with you on the aluminum plate. Since I've replaced the 3/8" plastic plate (whatever it was) on mine, I've had MUCH better results and far less control problems.

Fine Woodworking has published a number of articles with details of some great router tables. You may want to research those (perhaps with a two-week trial online membership) before you take off on your router table project.

And now a final word on Troutdale. I always thougt Troutdale was one version of paradise (though definitely not everyman's definition). :icon_thum

Rich

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Joe,
The base exchange system has changed some and is now AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange System). Special ordering is not a feature now, although the catalog has gone online and is larger. In the tools department, coverage is almost totally Craftsman, DeWalt and Black & Decker brands. Right now there are exactly 2 routers in the catalog, the Craftsman 3/4 and 2HP models, neither of which is carried in our base exchange.

Rich,
I will look at the Freud and more of the articles on router tables. Folding wings might just be the ticket for a table. Actually, 'paradise' referred to my previous location of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, which was perfect; tropical, boating, swimming, sailing, beautiful views, going to work in polo shirt and shorts every day. My family told me were moving after 6 years, and so we are now in Japan. Although I do like Troutdale very much in the summers, Cuba was a very real paradise. I should change my login name because Misawa, Japan, with the 3 feet of snow we got just last weekend, is a far cry from 'paradise.'

Guy

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I haven't looked recently but the Hitachi 12V is a big 15A router that has been available at a good price. It is a plunge router and can be used with a router raiser to allow height changes with the turn of a crank. I think a price around $200 is a good price for a 15A router of one of the better brands.

Jim

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I will second Jim on the hitachi M12v. I have two of them setup permanently with rail and stile bits,and they were very reasonable. I abuse them constantly and they never miss a beat. You do have to buy a router raizer for under table height adjustments but it all works great.
You definitely want to make your table bigger somehow ,wings,or extensions but go bigger than your posted dimensions. It will be alot safer and have much more capability. I have carbon fiber plates , I found the material on CL and it does not sag or flex in any way.Because of that reason I would go with aluminum even if you go to your local metal dealer and see if he has any offcuts then drill it for whatever router you buy. Try to find some 6061.
Greg

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Guy,

That Triton 3.25 hp went on sale just before Christmas, and then just afterward. If you are patient it might go on sale again soon. I bought it before christmas at the $199 price, and have not yet used it. I am waiting until I can get my router table set up also. Good luck.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Steve,
My rule for adding tools is to do it when the wife won't complain too much, and the way she has been going on ski trips with the kids, my opportunity is fairly soon.

All,
Will also look at the Hitachi. I was hoping to avoid a router lift, but in the long run that might be the best way to go. Well, more research to do. Thanks, but also keep any ideas coming.

richlife

New User
Rich
Joe,
Rich,
... Actually, 'paradise' referred to my previous location of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, which was perfect; tropical, boating, swimming, sailing, beautiful views, going to work in polo shirt and shorts every day. My family told me were moving after 6 years, and so we are now in Japan. Although I do like Troutdale very much in the summers, Cuba was a very real paradise. I should change my login name because Misawa, Japan, with the 3 feet of snow we got just last weekend, is a far cry from 'paradise.'

Guy

Cuba I can understand after spending some vacations in the Caribbean. In another thread active right now, we speak of the winter blues or blahs or whatever. The islands is more what I had in mind by going south. ("I wanna go where it's WARM!" - J. Buffett)

Rich

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Update on router selection

Well folks after all of your recommendations and some more research I made some decisions and some orders. I should also preface that I live in onbase military housing and this last weekend when building the daughter a hamster maze, the circuit breaker to my outside line popped twice when I had the bandsaw and shopvac on at the same time. It doesn't help that the same circuit breaker runs the outlet for the downstairs bathroom.

So, I ordered the following new toys:
-2 1/4 Triton router
-Woodpecker Aluminum plate (with template)
-Router table fence from Peachtree
-offset wrench from amazon
-featherboards from Rockler (currently on sale)
-miscellaneous stuff: UHMW sheet, t-track, miter bar, set screws

I was thinking very hard about the 3 1/4HP Triton, but all of the reviews say the 2 1/4 should suffice for my small work area and small projects. It also looked to me that the 2 1/4 has a couple of slight differences that might actually make it a little better to operate under a table.

Lots of great router plates out there. Many are phenolic with all sorts of different ways to level and attach, plus the variety in sizes, inserts, and reviews seems to confuse the issue. The Woodpecker seemed like a good deal with being aluminum, already drilled for the Triton, a template available, and a hole already drilled for the winding handle.

I am going to build a table and have a good idea on size, can't be too large. I was going to make a good fence, but after using several with t-tracks and other features, I wanted one that was comparable. After adding up all of the parts, t-tracks, and dust collector fitting, I was 2/3 of the way to some of the store fences, so I decided on the Peachtree fence.

And I should feel lucky. Often when I shop I always find lots of other items I just have to purchase. This time I got away with buying only four "miscellaneous" items. I tried to purchase everything with one-stop shopping at Amazon, but when I went to check out, I got the message on half of the items "We're Sorry. That item can't be shipped to your selected destination." Yet, when I went to the vendor's actual website, I was able to order everything. Guess I don't understand why that extra step and extra time had to be spent.

Will post a picture it is all put together. Thank-you again for all of the information and advice.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Also wanted to acknowledge

the folks that had provided some great information on a previous thread about the same decisions I was making. Thanks folks.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/recommendation-router-table-router-42686.html

I have gotten notice that most of the items have shipped, so I am now waiting. :cool: At my military overseas location, USPS mail can take 3 days to 6 weeks, and USPS priority takes 3 days to 3 weeks. A note was made on each order for priority mail, but that doesn't always happen. So now I need to get to the post office everyday before the wife does, or I might see this :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS