Another Newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Guys, thanks again for the kind words.

Chris - are you Garner FD? I attended concealed carry class at one of the Garner FD stations a year or so back. Ever met a fellow named Mickey Pollard (retired FD)?

Re the kiln, I occasionally will dry for others - the biggest problem is that in the unit I have it's not cost effective to dry a small load, and 1000 bd feet is a lot more than the average hobbiest user will need dried of the same species.

One of these days I might fool around with building some insulated interior doors to go inside the kiln that would let me effectively reduce the size of the kiln chamber. Hmm... that would be a great trade out for someone that needed wood dried from time to time...

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Welcome to the asylum:-D

Are you right off of US1 on old 1 just south of the chip/bark mill (used to be B&B)?

M

McRabbet

Thanks guys. As I've told others, I'm the luckiest guy that I know.

I do think that Grizzly is a great value for the $, and it's new equipment.

McRabbit, when you traveled down 751, did you ever turn south on Old US1 and go through Bonsal? If so, you passed right by my farm.

Scott
Scott -- that is some very nice iron in your shop -- I've got a 6" Grizzly jointer that your's could have for lunch... I have a 10" G123SLX tablesaw that is a quality workhorse and their G0555 14" bandsaw with a 6" riser. For now, they do what I need -- I've picked up some used tools as well -- an old Rockwell/Delta 2HP shaper and a Woodmaster 26" drum sander (not hooked up yet). A fellow woodworker (and full-time finish carpenter) from nearby Mills River filled his 32' x 6' shop with Grizzly stuff -- he has the Grizzly G0588 12" Sliding Tablesaw and the dual drum 15 HP G0450 drum sander (this beauty saved me recently when we surfaced a 21" wide x 2" thick x 10' long slab of bubinga for a countertop I'm building for a client), and many more Grizzly gems.

As for Bonsal -- yep -- I've been through there (even into the little town) -- I was involved with the Triangle Rails-to-Trails Conservancy back in the early 90's and wrote the grant package to do the master plan for what is now the American Tobacco Trail -- just north of the old crossing on 751, the ATT meets up with the small remaining rail section run by the RR history buffs in Bonsal. I'd love to come visit when back in Apex -- my daughter lives off Olive Chapel Rd and we'll be there in April for our grandson's 1st Birthday. Sorry to ramble on...

Rob

J

jeff...

Thanks guys. As I've told others, I'm the luckiest guy that I know.

Jeff - re the swingmill - sure. I'll probably do some milling sometime next month, and will let you know. What kind of sawmill do you have?

NCPete - for "moving up", I would consider the Felder equipment, older Powermatic, or any of the older American iron that was used in heavy cabinet making or a commercial environment to be a step up from the Grizzly. I looked at Woodguy's photo gallery last night, and he has some great, older iron. That's one great thing about being in NC - there are a lot of old furniture factories here and some great iron around - if you can find it. I do think that Grizzly is a great value for the $, and it's new equipment.

b4man - I'll try to be careful about the photo's!

Again - I envy y'all your hands-on experience. Having good equipment is one thing, but technique, ability and knowledge is more important.

McRabbit, when you traveled down 751, did you ever turn south on Old US1 and go through Bonsal? If so, you passed right by my farm.

Scott

Scott - I got an orange one :-D - would like to see the swinger in action. Let me know when your going to fire it up I would really like to watch maybe hump a couple of boards for you.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jerry, actually I am just north of B&B's mill (still owned by B&B), on the north side of Old US1.

Jeff, I'll take you up on that offer to tail! Which model Woodmizer do you have?

Rob, I'm a member of the New Hope Valley railroad, and my wife frequently rides one of our horses on the ATT. My property abuts part of the railroad in Bonsal (in fact, they have a ROW over some of my land). I'm on the west side of Beaver Creek Road on the north side of Bonsal. Let me know when you're going to be in the neighborhood.

Scott

J

jeff...

Jerry, actually I am just north of B&B's mill (still owned by B&B), on the north side of Old US1.

Jeff, I'll take you up on that offer to tail! Which model Woodmizer do you have?

Rob, I'm a member of the New Hope Valley railroad, and my wife frequently rides one of our horses on the ATT. My property abuts part of the railroad in Bonsal (in fact, they have a ROW over some of my land). I'm on the west side of Beaver Creek Road on the north side of Bonsal. Let me know when you're going to be in the neighborhood.

Scott

Scott it's an 2005 LT40 manual. Let me know when your going to be sawing I'll come watch / help. Would be cool to meet you.

Thanks

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the NCWW. You'll love this place. The good folks here have certainly helped me with good advice. Like some of the others have said (and all have thought), I am jealous. Nice shop / equipment.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS