Another box

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
White oak side & bottom, from tree that lost the top half a couple of years ago. Resawed on the bandsaw to 3/8" thick, pieces were about 3' long. Cut then at 10 degree slope for all sides. Cherry top is from a tree that fell last year, neighbor had me the wood. Cut more pieces on the bandsaw. This one started at 1/2" thick. No hinges, it is a press fit, with the lip at the same 10 degree angle. There is a slight tab on the lid to assist in removing the lid.

Finished with a couple coats of clear shellac.

20220606_105849.jpg

20220606_110052.jpg

20220606_110102.jpg

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Larry, they are glued and pinned w/23g pins. Simple butt joints all around

Lhloy

New User
Larry
Thanks Neal.... sometimes I get carried away with complexity (craftsmanship on display), but the elegance of a simple but efficient joint can't be beat.

avikb

New User
avikb
Looks good Neal. The lid, is that TWO pieces of wood or did you use a router/saw?

Also... I've been thinking of shellacking(sp?) some dark cedar boxes. I've been using butcher block oil so far. Does the wood absorb a lot of the shellac? Does it help with its moisture resistance?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
The lid is one piece, i used tablesaw for most of the cuts, then cleaned up with a handheld router plane.

I can't answer your other question though.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Also... I've been thinking of shellacking(sp?) some dark cedar boxes. I've been using butcher block oil so far. Does the wood absorb a lot of the shellac? Does it help with its moisture resistance?
Shellac is a film finish, so it stays on the surface. It will help with moisture resistance, but it's not as durable as something like polyurethane.

If you're going to buy it from the BORG, look for Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat— it's thinner and goes on better than the regular Bullseye shellac. If you have to buy the regular Bullseye shellac, get a container of denatured alcohol as well and mix them 50/50.

avikb

New User
avikb
Shellac is a film finish, so it stays on the surface. It will help with moisture resistance, but it's not as durable as something like polyurethane.

If you're going to buy it from the BORG, look for Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat— it's thinner and goes on better than the regular Bullseye shellac. If you have to buy the regular Bullseye shellac, get a container of denatured alcohol as well and mix them 50/50.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors