Angled tenons

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I am making a plant stand and have come to a slight problem. I have angled the legs of the stand 5 degree, and am now going to make some aprons between the legs at the top. I was thinking of using a mortise and tenon to attach the aprons. What is the best way to cut an angled tenon? Or should I just for the easy way and use biscuits.

Thanks for any insight!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think the tenons would be angled. I think just the cheeks would have the 5º angle. If that is true, then you could use your miter guide on the TS to make the angled cheek cuts and the remove the rest of the waste with a dado set.

Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Depending on the thickness of of the leg/apron stock, a mortise could cut through the outside surface if it does not mirror the compound angle. If it does mirror the angle, it will lose strength as you are cutting across some of the cheek side grain of the tennon. If it doesn't, you are cross-cutting the grain of the leg.

Biscuits, dowels or splines would give a stronger joint as they are indexed to the compound angle of the mating surface (and grain). With any, make sure the depth doesn't cut through the surface of the apron (and leg if the outside surface is flush).

My $.02:lol:

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Upon contemplation of the original question, I realized that either the tenon or the mortise would have to be angled :eusa_doh: So I would agree with Monty's assessment that biscuits would be strong enough for a plant stand and by far the easiest route to go :icon_thum

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Hmmm yep I think I will definately go with biscuits on this one. I see now I could be heading for a lot of :BangHead: otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
DaveT said:
I am making a plant stand and have come to a slight problem. I have angled the legs of the stand 5 degree, and am now going to make some aprons between the legs at the top. I was thinking of using a mortise and tenon to attach the aprons. What is the best way to cut an angled tenon? Or should I just for the easy way and use biscuits.

Thanks for any insight!

Dave--------Have you already cut angles at the top and bottom of the legs? There is a chart that gives the miter and bevel angles for such an application. It can get mind boggling8-O You will have a right and left on each apron and you also have to bevel the top of the aprons.

The cuts on the aprons will be compound angles whether it is mortise/tenon or but joint/w biscuit.

If you want the information I will try to find it.

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
DaveO--------Both the mortise and the tenon would have to be angled if you have rake and splay:) or am I confused:-? .

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Probably not as confused as I usually am. Angles always screw me up. I think that a lot would depend on if the apron was splayed at the same angle as the legs. If so I think that the mortise could be straight and the tenon angled. But like I said this stuff tend to make my brain hurt :-?

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I have cut the angles on the tops of the legs, but not the bottoms. I have not cut the aprons yet either. I figured I had better quit while I was ahead last night. :)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Friend I have been gone for a bit and have a moment to catch my breath, so here is my opinion, dont put aside the value of the Miller Dowel they are great fasteners and they move with the wood as well. Here is the link http://www.millerdowel.com/

I like to use them on my cabinet face frames, especially if the customer likes the contrasting wood. Hope it helps

DavidF

New User
David
DaveO said:
Probably not as confused as I usually am. Angles always screw me up. I think that a lot would depend on if the apron was splayed at the same angle as the legs. If so I think that the mortise could be straight and the tenon angled. But like I said this stuff tend to make my brain hurt :-?

You're right dave if the Apron is at the same angle then no big deal, the mortise is parallel to the sides of the leg. Cut the end of the apron at the leg angle and use a loose tenon or a biscuit.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Thanks for the great info. It has given me several ideas to try tonight.

Thanks
Dave

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
DaveT said:
Thanks for the great info. It has given me several ideas to try tonight.

Thanks
Dave

Keep us posted DaveT-------------more than one way to skin a cat. It will be interesting to see which way you decide to go and what the results are.:) It usually boils down to personal preference after exploring the various avenues.

Jerry

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
I ended up going with biscuits. I have some fine tuning yet, but I think it's coming together nicely.

IMGA0585.JPG

First apron test fit...

IMGA0589.JPG

All for cut to sized and clamped.

IMGA0590.JPG

IMGA0591.JPG

Thanks for all your input. All in all it took a few tries and a few colorful metaphors, but I think I am at least pretty darn close. :icon_thum

Thanks
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS