Angle gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Which angle gauge do you like best?

Wixey Digital - Which everyone seems to have, but I read about battery issues.
Or
Beall Tilt Box - Tom Hintz gave it a good review, plus I like the idea it uses 9 volt batteries.

Both are about the same price, any strong opinions either way? :dontknow:

Thanks, Jim

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Same thing functionally. Both from China I think, probably same factory. Someone once posted a link where anyone could buy a batch from China and brand it themselves.

Personally, Wixey ... but for no reason other then many more people have them and I've rarely heard of a complaint.

Of course, price would play a part too.... you really can't go wrong with either.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I have the Wixey and have been quite happy with it. The battery comes out easily with a quarter turn of the cap in the back side, if you aren't the type who uses it often. I think it might have been a good idea to include a power switch on them, but the battery lasts about 6 months, if you should leave it in, and it costs under $3.00 to replace. Since I have most of the Wixey tools and use them often I just leave the batteries in them and keep a few spares in stock. They all use the same battery # (sorry I can't remember it) and they are easy to find in any drug store. The only battery that's a pain to get out is the one in Wixey's digital caliper. It slides into the caliper surrounded by a very delicate drawer like piece made like a 3/4 circle of plastic with a flat outer side, and I just know I'm going to break it sometime soon during a battery change (almost did the last time). The only non Wixey digital tool that I have is Lee Valley's digital bevel gauge. It has the same quarter turn cap on the battery compartment as Wixey's angle gauge, so it is also very easy to change or just remove the battery.

I have no experience with any of the other digital measurement tools that are on the market, so I can't compare them, but I'm very happy with what I have.

Charley

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
If you're worried about battery life and costs, check this thread and then think about the cost of those 9v batteries and having to snap the little connectors...

I'll vote for Wixey.

RayH

New User
Ray
+1 votes for Wixey.:eusa_clap Battery life has been over 6 months for me, and as someone pointed out a while back, watch for Dollar Store sales of the batterys in a 3-pack for 1$ if you want smaller quantities.

So far (fingers crossed for continued luck) never a problem with a Wixey product.

DavidF

New User
David
I have two Wixey products, the angle gauge and the TS gauge, both great and built well. No experience with the other makes, but better the devil you know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS